Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Houston International Quilt Festival (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/houston-international-quilt-festival-t74178.html)

Prissnboot 11-04-2010 05:24 AM

Hi, this is my first quilt festival, and I can't wait! I'm going tomorrow, and can't seem to find out the answer to my two questions, so I was wondering if any of you could answer them - everyone on the board always comes through for every need and query!

Are there in-and-out privileges at the show?
Are rolling carts/suitcases permitted?

Thanks, and for those of you who are going, I look forward to seeing you there!

KathyAire 11-04-2010 05:34 AM

Definitely in and out privileges, get your hand stamped before going out. I 'think' rolling carts are allowed.
Hope someone else will say for sure 'yes or no'.

Prissnboot 11-04-2010 05:35 AM

Thank you Kathy - that's music to my ears! I live in Houston and know of a great Mexican restaurant in the area, but not in the convention center. I figure if I'm going to pay that much for lunch, it might as well be for good food!

nativetexan 11-04-2010 05:54 AM

say Hi to my girlfriend. She's going. i sent her tickets for her Birthday. she lives in Houston and had never gone!

ruacajun2 11-04-2010 05:56 AM

I went last night for the preview of the quilts and did some shopping. If you plan on going on Friday or Saturday -- these are the most popular days and there are lots and lots of people.
Going up and down the isles is tight -- people sometimes don't think when they just stop in the middle of the isles when they see something interesting -- that stops the whole section. I see a lot of people who carry tote bags and then again some vendors give out free tote bags but you really do not see people pushing carts around. There are a lot of people in wheel chairs too! I hope you have fun. I took a class on Monday and I have two more - one on Saturday and one on Sunday. I plan on doing more shopping. Duhhh - I just called for you. The answer is "NO CARTS, ROLLING SUITECASES" unless you have a medical need to have one then you need to bring a note from a Doctor and go to the 2nd floor to get a special pass to use it.

Enjoy your time at the show!

Charlee 11-04-2010 05:58 AM

They have the winners posted on the website already....some awesome quilts! :)
Wish I were close enough to go! I can't seem to make it to Portland for the expo here!

Prissnboot 11-04-2010 06:00 AM

ruacajun2, thank you very much! I have a phone number I tried earlier, but no answer, so was going to call later in the morning. I guess I'll add "backpack" to the Walmart list - this was my original plan anyway, so I don't have to deal with hauling things around.

Thanks to all who responded, and to those of you who are going, let's all have a wonderful time!

A great Mexican place is called Irma's - located at 22 North Chenevert Street, 2 blocks north of Minute Maid Park. They are open during weekdays, and at 4PM on Saturdays. I highly recommend the pink lemonade - so much fruit bits they clog up a straw, but it's wonderful!!!

MomtoBostonTerriers 11-04-2010 06:19 AM

Rolling carts are specifically NOT allowed at the Quilt Festival. No baby strollers either. The only thing on wheels allowed are those golf-cart things for handicapped folks. Even with these restrictions, the aisles are packed! But, it's a fun event, so go with the flow and enjoy! I am leaving now to drive to the Festival -- see you in 5 hours.

running1 11-04-2010 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Wish I were close enough to go! I can't seem to make it to Portland for the expo here!

Where is the site to see the quilts? Thanks for sharing!!

ruacajun2 11-04-2010 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by running1

Originally Posted by Charlee

Where is the site to see the quilts? Thanks for sharing!!

http://www.quilts.org/winners.html

Here's the link to see the winners!