Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to attach crystals to wall hanging (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-attach-crystals-wall-hanging-t50396.html)

jodimarie 06-19-2010 02:09 PM

I am finishing up a wall hanging....will never be washed, and have the flat sided crystals I would like to attach for highlights. What type of glue do I use?? Of course, I would test it on a scrap before gluing onto the real thing.

Thanks in advance
jodi in leavenworth kansas

amma 06-19-2010 02:16 PM

I am not sure... fabric glue may not hold to the back of the crystal... super glue doesn't glue to fabric well unless you put a drop on the fabric and let it dry, then glue the crystal to that spot.

The only problem is not letting the glue bleed in a wider circumference than the crystal.

Are these crystals not heat activated?

Charlee 06-19-2010 02:21 PM

They make a craft glue especially for adhereing crystals and "sparklies" to fabrics...I have some at home, will post the name of it as soon as I get off work if someone else hasn't already! :)

virtualbernie 06-19-2010 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
They make a craft glue especially for adhereing crystals and "sparklies" to fabrics...I have some at home, will post the name of it as soon as I get off work if someone else hasn't already! :)

I believe it's called "Jewel It". Just look in any craft store in the glue section.

dotcomdtcm 06-19-2010 02:29 PM

Alene's Tacky glues from Michaels

jodimarie 06-19-2010 03:33 PM

Thanks for all the advice!! I have some super glue....bought it at JoAnns with one of those 50 % coupons when I couldn't find anything that hadn't been marked ''on sale'' . There are 4 TINY little tubes in a package, one use and throw it away.....I hate to use a drop or two and then the tube dries up before I can use it again. I felt good about finding a good practical use for those coupons!

jodi in leavenworth kansas

lab fairy 06-19-2010 07:20 PM

Wasn't there an Alene's Jewel It glue out there at one time? I haven't looked for anything like that in a long time but I used to see it at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.

lab fairy 06-19-2010 07:23 PM

Use acetone (like in nail polish remover) to dissolve the bond of super glue. Works like a charm. Maybe your tube's opening is too small and/or you are working too closely (slowly). Cyanoacrylate (super glue) vaporizes and sets at a fairly low temperatures. That can be a great asset and a great pain in the asset.

BellaBoo 06-19-2010 07:51 PM

If it is the tiny crystals that twinkle you need the heat gun to apply them. They are permanent once applied and will not come off. They were on every other quilt I saw in Paducah! I was amazed at how soft they were, you could barely feel them on the quilt.

littlehud 06-19-2010 08:29 PM

I an so glad to see this thread. I went to the quilt show in Omaha today and saw these on so many of the wall quilts. I love the way the sparkle. I want to use some on my wall hangings.