Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How big is your flannel board? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-big-your-flannel-board-t73150.html)

mmlctnp 10-30-2010 04:22 AM

How big is your flannel board? I am working on a full/queen sized scrap quilt and want to "coordinate" colors and patterns. Do you use a smaller board with sections of the quilt or do you use a large board to get it together all at once? I've never done one this crazily complex before. All suggestions considered.

cjk 10-30-2010 04:23 AM

I don't have enough room for a board so I'm no help.

whinnytoo 10-30-2010 04:26 AM

I bought two full size sheets of insulation board (the blue stuff) and covered them with flannel. Mine are attached to a wall, but they could very easily be made portable.
works great!!!! good luck on your quilt

lmiller1978 10-30-2010 04:27 AM

I don't have one either...I have a cork board...it's the best I could do with the limited space I have. It's about 3' x 3' and it works great for laying out my block patterns, but not so great for seeing the whole quilt laid out

sewTinker 10-30-2010 04:35 AM

my "board" is a vinyl table cloth hung backwards on the wall (need a step stool to work the top of it). I'm limited to that size. Anything bigger gets laid on the bed. lol... If I had the wall space, I would/could stitch two of them together.

janRN 10-30-2010 04:36 AM

I use a flannel sheet, double bed size, on a curtain rod. Not sure of the measurements but I can fold it in half or thirds if I'm making smaller items and leave it opened to work on large quilts.

Nancy S. 10-30-2010 04:41 AM

I use a piece of warm and natural tacked on the wall behind a door. I think it is twin size and if I need larger I have a queen bed in the next room to work on but the wall seems to do the trick.

DebbyT 10-30-2010 05:33 AM

I took the twin mattress and box spring, put them on end side by side, and covered it with a flannel like fabric. So it has the width of a king and is not to tall for me. I have more room in my sewing room and can dismantle it for a guest in 2 minutes.

Corry 10-30-2010 07:18 AM

Mine is 6ft by 6ft. My hubby used the insulation board and we covered it with batting and then flannel and he screwed it to the wall. I have quilt blocks on it right now. At first thought we might have made it too big but now am glad we did as I don't even have all the blocks on it yet and it is almost full. I love mine. Hubby bought washers big as 50 cent pieces to go behind the screws so the screws did not sink into the board. He even spray painted them the exact color as the tan flannel we used. Then spray painted the head of the screw. He did a great job!. Love my design wall. when I don't have a quilt up there I tack photos of my grands up.

bigsister63 10-30-2010 11:35 AM

I use a cheap flannel backed plastic table cloth. If I am making a wall hanging then I hang it to put on my peices. If quilt it is to be on a bed then I lay it on a bed or table and put on the peices. You can then roll it up to move or store. Fabric does not move or fall off. I was taught that you should "hang" the quilt to set peices as to how it will be used. Lay flat if to be used as bedding or hang if to be wall hanging. Either way give you a different visual of the finished quilt.