Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to change a belt on a Featherweight? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-change-belt-featherweight-t105539.html)

candlequilter 03-06-2011 04:39 PM

I have a Featherweight 221 and I would like to change the belt on it. The one that is currently on it has alot of little cracks all over plus I think that it is worned down because when I go to wind a bobbin on it the bobbin winder doesn't engage. I think it is just because the belt has become to thin. Anyway if someone could give me some basic instructions I would like to change it. I already have the belt and thought I would ask before I just start trying it on my own. It doesn't look to hard and I thought an ounce of prevention would be better. So if anyone cares to share with me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so very much,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

dreamer2009 03-06-2011 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
I have a Featherweight 221 and I would like to change the belt on it. The one that is currently on it has alot of little cracks all over plus I think that it is worned down because when I go to wind a bobbin on it the bobbin winder doesn't engage. I think it is just because the belt has become to thin. Anyway if someone could give me some basic instructions I would like to change it. I already have the belt and thought I would ask before I just start trying it on my own. It doesn't look to hard and I thought an ounce of prevention would be better. So if anyone cares to share with me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so very much,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

Sherrly
contact Billy at lostin51
send him a PM

candlequilter 03-06-2011 05:29 PM

I went ahead and changed it, no problem just needed all the muscle I could mustard. :-D

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

Lostn51 03-06-2011 05:37 PM

I am glad you were able to get it changed out. Sometimes the aluminum will "white rust" in the threads of the bolt and give you a hard time. But if you ever run into that again just put a drop of oil on the spot and warm it up with a hair dryer and then it will come out for you. Always put a dab of grease or anti seize on the screws that go into the body of the machine just to prevent it from ever happening again.

Billy

luvnquilt 03-06-2011 05:51 PM

On a similar note, at my local singer retailer (sew/vac shop), he had the belt priced at $17.95 and I said "I can get it online for $7.00" at which point he dropped it down to $10.00- I don't mind paying a little more at a local shop and I'm not one to bicker over prices but that was a big difference so I guess it doesn't hurt to ask!!

candlequilter 03-06-2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am glad you were able to get it changed out. Sometimes the aluminum will "white rust" in the threads of the bolt and give you a hard time. But if you ever run into that again just put a drop of oil on the spot and warm it up with a hair dryer and then it will come out for you. Always put a dab of grease or anti seize on the screws that go into the body of the machine just to prevent it from ever happening again.

Billy

Billy thanks for replying. I do have one question. After I put the new belt on it is soooooooooooo tight that it doesn't want to turn when I try to sew with it now. Is there someway to loosen it just a little so that it will turn? I sure don't want to burn out the motor.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

Lostn51 03-06-2011 07:58 PM

Billy

Billy thanks for replying. I do have one question. After I put the new belt on it is soooooooooooo tight that it doesn't want to turn when I try to sew with it now. Is there someway to loosen it just a little so that it will turn? I sure don't want to burn out the motor.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

You should have some adjustment in the motor but if you bought an Alphasew belt (the red aftermarket belt) they run a 1/2" smaller than the advertised length.

Billy

candlequilter 03-06-2011 08:01 PM

Billy

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

You should have some adjustment in the motor but if you bought an Alphasew belt (the red aftermarket belt) they run a 1/2" smaller than the advertised length.

Billy

I bought one on ebay that was suppose to be for featherweights and the only numbers on it is 194144 and the belt is black.

Thanks,
Sherryl

candlequilter 03-06-2011 08:54 PM

Got it all adjusted and it is running smoothly.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter