Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to cut long strips straight? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-cut-long-strips-straight-t195988.html)

pippi65 07-30-2012 06:27 AM

I;m with the group that says starch your fabric. I find that when I do this I get the best results. Good Luck. But if you can afford a larger mat by ALL means do it!!

Slow2Sew 07-30-2012 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer (Post 5400519)
I fold and cut on a 18" mat. I use Martelli rotary cutter and non slip ruller for completely accurate strips. That rotary cutter will cut through 12 layers of fabric like butter.

Having a rotary cutter that easily cuts through 12 layers of fabric sounds like a dream. Where do you buy Martelli supplies?

Sierra 07-30-2012 08:19 AM

My technique isn't the greatest, and perhaps one of the many reasons is that I would buy a roll of pre-cut fabric (which seems to come in 2 1/2" widths) and change the pattern to fit that size. I'm old, and life is just too short to fiddle with details that could be jiggled around.

Lots of good comments in this thread!

Donna in Mo 07-30-2012 10:11 AM

I have a 39" mat and fold in half and and in half again. I always got the dreaded "V" in my strips. I found out that if I iron the fold, the cut will be straight. I think this is a very good tip.

ladyredhawk 07-30-2012 02:49 PM

I just fold it in half like everyone else

Marysewfun 07-30-2012 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5400588)
Totally agree ... more folds ... more risk for elbows in the cut strips.
And absolutely, a larger mat is something you will never regret.

Another help to get really straight strips is to make sure the fabric is well pressed first. A little starch, best press or sizing is good too. Then cut carefully, holding your ruler straight and steady!

I also use one or two hand clamps to help stabilize the ruler and hold it tight.

Marysewfun

KyKaren1949 07-30-2012 06:38 PM

When I have to fold, I use straight pins to hold the selvages together too. It gives a little more stability. Definitely invest in a larger mat and a 24 inch long ruler. I love the Olipfa 6" X 24" ruler to use as my cutting edge because it grips the edge of the cutting mat and gives stability as well.

I use Omnigrid rulers to actually measure though.

trolleystation 07-31-2012 07:13 AM

Rip it. Then iron the edges flat. The strips will be true.

QuiltnLady1 07-31-2012 08:05 PM

I fold selvages together, then selvages to fold. I put the end with the selvages facing toward me -- the fold away. I was in a class and the teacher (who is nationally known) said this helps keep the wobbles away. The rest of the things I learned at the class were the all of the great techniques for straightening the fabric -- don't cut a yard of fabric without straightening.

That said -- if I need long strips parallel to the selvages (length wise grains), I always rip it. I don't rip wof (crossgrain) because some fabrics don't tear well crosswise.