Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I machine bind my quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-machine-bind-my-quilt-t170912.html)

jcrow 12-04-2011 08:34 AM

How do I machine bind my quilt?

I have 7 quilts that are for Christmas and all they need are to be bound. I'm too slow to hand sew the binding on the back. I know many people machine sew the binding (first) to the back and then bring it around to the front of the quilt and machine bind it. I tried that with a table runner and it looks horrible. I used the right color of thread but you can see that it's not a straight line down the binding, kindy wavy, missed the binding completely in some areas. I have to rip it apart and start over. I want to do the runner first before I tackle my quilts. Any suggestions?

Holice 12-04-2011 08:37 AM

lots of info here and in tutorials. do a search and you will find your hep

greensleeves 12-04-2011 08:40 AM

I use a decorative stitch so that little inconsistencies don't show as much. Experiment with the ones you have because I have found that not all consistently stitch equally all around the binding. My favorite is one that looks somewhat like an elongated S. I start at a mitered corner of the binding instead of along a side. Good luck, sounds like a lot of people are going to get some wonderful gifts.

donac 12-04-2011 09:02 AM

I put the binding on backwards. You normally sew it to the front and bring it to the back. I put it on the back and bring it the front. I would use a 3 in piece folded in half. I thought 2 1/2 was too small. I have used a decorative stitch or a zigzag

Lori S 12-04-2011 09:06 AM

If you like the look of the binding being brought to the back , consider machine stitching in the ditch on the top side . Bring the binding to the back , but secure the binding position using a thin strip of wonder under or heat and bond light . They do sell a roll of 1/4 inch fusible in the notions isle at Jo ann's if you don't want to cut your own. I fuse the binding on the back just past the stitching line you made stitching the binding on in the first step( about 1/8 inch). This ensures you will catch the binding on on the back side, when stitching in the ditch on the front. I find at this step I have better success without the walking foot , just using a SID foot if your walking foot does not have a SID foot. I find the fusible to be faster than the elmers glue method to secure the binding position.

ckcowl 12-04-2011 09:56 AM

i've tried to machine bind a couple quilts over the years- i've used the decorative stitch technique- the stitch in the ditch technique- and the straight stitch down the top technique- never have i been happy with the outcome- to me it just diminishes all the work that went into making the quilt by doing an (inadequate) rush job on the binding.
i know some people use glue- there are lots of tips for doing it- the look though---that i guess is a matter of personal choice- and i'm not one to ever think it looks ok- to me it just looks---
like i rushed the end...so i don't do them that way anymore- unless they are for a charitable organization that stipulates the bindings are to be machine attached (yes some do stipulate that) but if it's not a requirement- i take the time to hand stitch-
i've found that i have become quite fast at it --- can do a queen size quilt binding in a couple hours...usually sitting in front of a movie-stitching away- by the end of the movie- i am reaching the end of the binding.
i know some people always machine bind their quilts- and like how they turn out- my hat is off to them- i have just never managed to make one look anywhere close to acceptable- and after all the work of the quilt---to ruin it with the binding...
i'm sure the ones who are good at it will give you lots of great tips to help you finish up your quilts- i do think it's a look you have to get used to though- don't be hard on yourself- it's not going to look like a hand stitched binding- so don't expect it to-
good luck getting your quilts done.

lalaland 12-04-2011 11:17 AM

You might try this method in the future. It solves the problem of catching the binding on both sides.

http://www.lorettaalvarado.com/binding.htm

hannajo 12-04-2011 11:29 AM

One thing that has greatly helped my machine binding is hand-basting it. It does take some time, but definitely less time than hand-sewing the whole thing. This has really helped me to line it up exactly where I need it to be. For me, my hand-sewing just isn't so good, so I don't trust it to hold up to the wear and tear of a used quilt.

jcrow 12-04-2011 02:45 PM

I think you are right. I think only hand stitching looks good...for me anyway. I haven't hand sewed binding for a while, that's why I have 7 quilts stacked up, but if you can get a queen size out that fast, maybe I should just spend every evening hand binding so it looks as good as my quilt. I am still making quilts. I think I should stop and bind instead. Thanks for reminding me about how nice hand binding is. It does make all the difference.

mudose8 12-05-2011 01:48 PM

I prefer to use a decorative stitch that I use with varigated thread. I attach binding to back of quilt and bring it around to the front and stitch it down.