Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I make a design wall? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-make-design-wall-t85664.html)

CAJAMK 12-28-2010 03:57 AM

Happy Holidays to all....I just set up small new quilting room for myself. It's crowded, and small but it is mine. I would really would enjoy and input on how to make a design wall on a very tight budget. Thanks

S D G 12-28-2010 04:04 AM

You can use a plastic felt backed table cloth on a wall. Your fabric will stick to the back of the table cloth.

117becca 12-28-2010 04:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i use my batting. I hang it from a shelf in my basement (where i work on my quilt) and the pieces stick pretty well, and it's easy to put straight pins into it...

Here's my set up - not glamorous, but it works. I have books holding the batting up at the top of the shelf....

Jo M 12-28-2010 05:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a bunch of really good ideas and links - Thanks to Craftybear :) :
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-49751-1.htm

My dream would be to order the vanishing design wall and be done with it, but my budget doesn't allow for it! I'm thinking of trying to make one myself....someday. Maybe get DH involved in the project.

sew wishful 12-28-2010 05:22 AM

A piece of foam insulation board works very well. I covered mine in plastic then flannel and I can put pins to hold pieces in place. The only "problem" is that it was too tall for my room (slanted ceiling), so had to take it apart and cut it down. Perfect fit, now!

Bottle Blonde 12-28-2010 05:43 AM

I have 2 design walls ---- the one in my studio is a large foam insulation board that I bought at a home improvement store --- it is about 4 ft x 8 ft. covered it with fleece and propped against the wall - of course you could hang it, but I like to rearrange things. The quilt blocks stick to the fleece. The other is a plastic table cloth with the fuzzy cloth stuff on the back --- I pin it up with thumbtacks with the plastic side against the wall. (sometimes I use 2 if I need a big design area) ---- again, the blocks stick to the fuzzy stuff. My favorite of the 2 is the tablecloth. The tablecloths are cheap and you can take them down and put them away when not in use. I use the tablecloth when I am sewing in a room other than my studio. (hand sewing in front of the tv in the evenings with my DH)

raptureready 12-28-2010 07:22 AM

If space is a big issue purchase a blind for your window or wall---the plastic kind that roll up. Unrole several feet of it and glue flannel to the room side of it. When you don't need it, you can just give it a tug and it will roll right up out of the way. If you can attach it to the all or ceiling you might want to get the widest one possible. Thin double stick carpet tape works well but you might want to get someone to help hold the flannel while attaching it or roll it around a large dowel, place the bottom on the bottom of the blind and just unroll it onto the taped blind.

You can also make one that will fold up out of the way with one of those folding cardboard cutting mats (available in most fabric stores--they're used for cutting out clothing), a peice of flannel the same size, two curtain rods that will open to the length of the cardboard, and several binder clips. Use the binder clips to clip the cardboard, rods and flannel together. The rods will keep the cardboard from folding up until you're ready to take it down.

janedee 12-28-2010 09:08 AM

i was away for Christmas and when I arrived home there on my wall was a design wall - using a roller blind and creative grid fabric - works brilliantly!!!

sewwhat85 12-28-2010 12:27 PM

i have the felt covered foam board 4'x8'

quiltmaker 12-28-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by S D G
You can use a plastic felt backed table cloth on a wall. Your fabric will stick to the back of the table cloth.

This is exactly what I did and got a huge one. Works like a charm and will not break anyone's budget. I just used pintacks all around it to stabilize it on the wall.