Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I quilt this unusual quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-quilt-unusual-quilt-t24261.html)

Chay 08-16-2009 09:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Calling all machine-quilting experts: I have made many quilt tops, but now I'd like to try machine quilting the quilt pictured here (front = fused appliques outlined in feather stitch, back has the words Red Shoe Dog on it). For my first-time effort I would like to stitch wavy horizontal lines. My questions are: what color thread do I use? I would prefer not to use invisible thread as this is a baby quilt. If I use wavy horizontal lines, do I stitch right over the appliques or do I stop at the edge of each applique? This pattern is from the book Quilt Baby. Thanks for any and all advice for my novice attempt.

sharon b 08-16-2009 12:16 PM

I have no suggestions on how to quilt it but wanted to say GOOD JOB :lol:
Sharon

MNQuilter 08-16-2009 12:27 PM

I've never machine quilted so I don't know if this would work or not, but I thought it would look great with echo quilting around the appliques and the wavy lines up to the echo quilting. I bet varigated thread with red and black would be striking on it. It's a beautiful quilt.

sewjoyce 08-16-2009 02:52 PM

Really cute quilt!! (But I normally hand quilt so I'm not any help with machine quilting -- sorry!)

earthwalker 08-16-2009 08:42 PM

Firstly I am no expert machine quilter. But hees my 2c worth. If you go with the wavy lines (which I think would look really good) don't go over the applique (just up to the edge). As there are large blocks of colour, I would go for a matching colour thread for each part of the background (black on black etc.)...Ultimately, I think you will hit on something that will look great no matter which way you go.

Lovely design and great work....Please can we see it when it's finished?

Quilt4u 08-17-2009 01:53 AM

No idea but it is cute.

Ninnie 08-17-2009 02:13 AM

Sorry, hand quilter here. nice quilt

Maride 08-17-2009 04:14 AM

Very nice quilt. I would approach it a little different. I would stitch around each figure and do a little echo quilting around each, but no more than two or three lines. Between the echo quilting I would do some free hand quilting like small stipples, loops or twirls. I would try to use the exact same color in each area (red on the red area, yellow on the yellow area, etc). I would free hand quilt stars on the sky using black thread.

Good luck,

Maria

kathy 08-17-2009 07:22 AM

there are some very nice invisible threads that you can't even feel when you try to poke yourself with it

SharonC 08-17-2009 07:30 AM

Pretty quilt. I like the idea of a combination of suggestions already given. Wavy lines and echo around the shapes. Stars in the sky are great suggestions.
Whatever you decide....the Quilts seem to tell us once we get going, will be great. You got this far and have done a great job :).