Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I sew this on (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-sew-t137647.html)

Matilda 07-14-2011 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this peacock from a friend who was getting rid of her Pretty Punch items that she loved to do for years. I always wanted to sew it on the back of a jacket and am finally get to it. And I have been thinking of how to sew it on. I don't want to leave it to just glue, I don't just it to kept it on. I don't mind using glue along with sewing but I don't see exactly how to sew it. There is a very small edge around it. Perhaps this is too silly of a question but I was hoping to get some suggestions from some people who have done this. Thanks in advance for your help. I know there are some wonderful people on here that are just great with help.

quilt addict 07-14-2011 02:45 PM

You may try to use fusing to iron it on. then I would satin stitch around the outer edges. You may even want to do some embelishment on the design too with decorative stitches or more satin stitch.

Grammashel 07-14-2011 02:46 PM

Sorry, I have no advice. But it's beautiful and will look great.

thepolyparrot 07-14-2011 02:49 PM

I would color the white edge with a Fabrico marker that matches the jacket and press it under the edge of the design.

Then I would glue-baste it into place with a tiny amount of Roxanne's Glue Baste It or Elmer's Washable School Glue and applique it with thread that matches the jacket. I would also do a lot of tiny "tack-down" stitches throughout the design in colors that match the design.

Interesting project! :)

PaperPrincess 07-14-2011 02:51 PM

I would use a machine and do a tiny zig zag or blanket stitch, using thread matching the garment. The thing is that the peacock (which is gorgeous) is pretty large, so you would need to tack down the center of the design somehow. I would do it by hand, and use invisible thread, tacking it down as needed. Because it is dimensional, the tacking should just disappear into the loops.

jljack 07-14-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I would use a machine and do a tiny zig zag or blanket stitch, using thread matching the garment. The thing is that the peacock (which is gorgeous) is pretty large, so you would need to tack down the center of the design somehow. I would do it by hand, and use invisible thread, tacking it down as needed. Because it is dimensional, the tacking should just disappear into the loops.

I completely agree with this suggested method. Would keep it secure.

jdiane318 07-14-2011 02:56 PM

Have you thought about using some batting in the center area to give it a trapunto/puffy look, then sewing down thru the eyes and feathers using like colors to give it a kinda 3-d look?

Matilda 07-14-2011 06:01 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. You gave me a lot to think about and some great help.

Diane, no I haven't thought of that. I will think on it though.

Thank you again. You all have been very helpful!

earthwalker 07-14-2011 07:40 PM

Great ideas from everyone....you might also want to sew some sequins/beads into the decorative parts of the tail, feathers and crest. That would help anchor the body bit down.

Matilda 07-15-2011 12:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got it sewed on. Thank you for you help. This is what I did: I used Heat and Bond and glued it on and then machine appliqued around it using the appropriate color thread. And I did sew through it in a couple of places down the middle to keep it stable. I haven't cut the access white fabric-what little there was of it yet. I won't be coloring. I didn't use batting under it because with the punching I thought it was lofty enough. Here are some pictures.

Thank you again all of you for your help!! I enjoy this board because of all you folks on here!!

Back with bobbin thread
[ATTACH=CONFIG]226895[/ATTACH]

Around leaves and flowers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]226896[/ATTACH]

Crown
[ATTACH=CONFIG]226897[/ATTACH]