Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-t200327.html)

GrammaPatches 09-12-2012 06:49 PM

How do I??

I remember seeing information on this board before on how to sash blocks in nows and keep them lined up so that the sashing strips are in a straight row vertically. I am having difficulty with this after I sew my blocks in a horizontal row (which works out fine) but then trying to line them up in the vertical rows. I think it was information provided by Hollis but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me please?

luvTooQuilt 09-12-2012 06:51 PM

I use a pin to mark the seams.. So when i lay it on top it will match up..

Prism99 09-12-2012 06:52 PM

Create your horizontal rows. Attach a long sashing strip to the bottom of the first row. Iron, then turn it over to the wrong side. Use a pencil and ruler to mark the seam lines into the sashing strip. These become the sashing's "virtual" seam lines. When you attach the next row to this sashing strip, first match up and pin each seam to the marked line in the sashing strip. As you sew, ease or stretch the blocks as necessary to make sure the seams are lined up with the markings. This ensures that the rows line up when you are done.

QuiltE 09-12-2012 07:05 PM

As suggested, mark the lines to square it up to.
Plus it's critical that each section is square and each block equal in size. Then you need to make sure your sashings are all the same length.

Cornerstones can help to simplify and make it easier to keep all straight and square.

justflyingin 09-12-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5510409)
As suggested, mark the lines to square it up to.
Plus it's critical that each section is square and each block equal in size. Then you need to make sure your sashings are all the same length.

Cornerstones can help to simplify and make it easier to keep all straight and square.

Yes, I've found cornerstones to help immensely.

Jan in VA 09-12-2012 09:49 PM

I sash individual blocks --- leave some plain as you'll sash only one, two or three sides of those -- and use cornerstones. I prefer*not* to use long strips of sashing as I feel it sort of throws off the evenness of the piecing, sort of like leaving some areas unquilted and other areas densely quilted.

Jan in VA

QuiltnNan 09-13-2012 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin (Post 5510550)
Yes, I've found cornerstones to help immensely.

i agree... and i like the look of the cornerstones, also.

hevemi 09-13-2012 06:18 AM

This quilt-along shows very good instructions for sashing
http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...quilt-top.html

gollytwo 09-13-2012 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5510569)
I sash individual blocks --- leave some plain as you'll sash only one, two or three sides of those -- and use cornerstones. I prefer*not* to use long strips of sashing as I feel it sort of throws off the evenness of the piecing, sort of like leaving some areas unquilted and other areas densely quilted.

Jan in VA

That's how I do it too; sometimes with cornerstones, sometimes not.

Jingle 09-13-2012 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5510374)
Create your horizontal rows. Attach a long sashing strip to the bottom of the first row. Iron, then turn it over to the wrong side. Use a pencil and ruler to mark the seam lines into the sashing strip. These become the sashing's "virtual" seam lines. When you attach the next row to this sashing strip, first match up and pin each seam to the marked line in the sashing strip. As you sew, ease or stretch the blocks as necessary to make sure the seams are lined up with the markings. This ensures that the rows line up when you are done.

This is what I have done. Also I will sometimes add a square to go under the vertical sashes and sew a strip the size of the block end. I hope this makes sense.