Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do so many members have so much to sell? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-so-many-members-have-so-much-sell-t146619.html)

cwessel47 08-20-2011 06:52 PM

I'm often astonished at how much is posted in Buy/Sell/Trade. How does someone find themselves with 30 or 40 yds of fabric to sell at a time?. 6 yds of this and 10 yds of that. I guess I just have to be pleased with myself for having more self control - or is that really just a far smaller pocketbook? I check it out all the time and buy frequently. But... what do the rest of you think? Is it just me?

SharBear 08-20-2011 06:56 PM

No, I also wonder that.

I am a person who buys what I need for a project. When I finish a project I select a few "nice size" pieces and put them in my ONE scrap bin. The rest go to the ladies from the Guild who make charity scrap blankets.

So, to see all the fabric folks have ... it would stress me out.

I guess that's the best part of quilting -there's enough room under this big, beautiful quilt for all of our differing approaches!

JulieR 08-20-2011 06:57 PM

People buy large quantities for many reasons. Some yardage is purchased for projects that don't come to fruition; some is bought at a great discount and passed on, either here or via ebay, etsy, etc.

I'm sure others will be along to tell their stories shortly, but everyone has one. I highly doubt in most cases it's a matter of self control. ;)

amma 08-20-2011 06:58 PM

I could fill my home with fabric and be a very happy camper LOL I do try and exercise a little bit of self control though. It is nice to be able to go to my stash and pull out enough fabric for a quilt :D:D:D

Granna of 5 08-20-2011 07:09 PM

I for one love fabric and buy much more than I need, but not to the point to sell yet. I have bought bolts at good prices and buy from the board alot.

Cyn 08-20-2011 07:10 PM

I inherited my mil's fabric when she passed. She owned a quilt shop and kept some of every fabric in the shop for herself plus loads of extra stuff. I already had a room half full of fabrics for projects I plan to do. I have 3 sewing rooms complete with machines and all the stuff needed to sew in each one :) It's not a hobby, it's a life style for me :) I always feel so loved and special! Of course the word spoiled is used a lot for me too :) I don't sell anything tho. I just haven't felt like figuring it all out.

mom-6 08-20-2011 07:10 PM

I don't know about anyone else with large amounts of fabric to sell but I can speak for a friend who does not post on this board, but who inherited a huge amount of fabric from a relative who had a custom sewing business and apparently routinely bought out fabric stores going out of business. She was only able to rescue a couple trailer loads of the fabric and some of the sewing machines. Most of the fabric was on the original bolts. She sold most of it in a series of sales at anywhere from $1 a yard on up to much more for the silks and fur.
She still has a couple of armoires (sp) full but most of the 'good stuff has sold.

Annaquilts 08-20-2011 07:15 PM

I am pleased they are selling. I now can't really afford fabric at the LQS due to the price increases. I do shop at Walmart now but there is almost no selection and some of it is of very poor quality. I do think we all come from varies back grounds and varies income brackets. I am holding on to everything I have as our income has significantly decreased over the last 3 plus years and I will not be able to replace it with the same quality. That said I have been working my way through my stash and I am happy to find $4-5 a yard fabrics here on the board.

fabric_fancy 08-20-2011 07:23 PM

some people buy lots thru craiglists sort thru and keep what they want and then sell the rest thru here.

Carron 08-20-2011 07:32 PM

When people find out I make quilts they will "unload" some of their stock pile on me. I think it is to clean out their closet because they don't need it or want it any more.