Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you all do it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-all-do-t124119.html)

luvTooQuilt 05-18-2011 08:01 PM

I'm suppose to donate a quilt but I'm having a hard time letting them go. I made the first one, decided I liked it too much so i made another one to give but I like that one too!!! and I'm starting a third... How can you say bye bye?? Its sad but I can't .. In hoping I'll make one after another after another, theres gotta be one in the bunch eventually that won't be hard to give away..right?!?

Geez, I make baby quilts for 'newborns in need' and I don't bat an eye on giving those away!! What gives?!?!?

lupe71903 05-18-2011 08:07 PM

I do find it hard giving away ones that I ended up falling in love with. I take as many pictures as I can before they are out the door, but other than that I try to only give them to people that would love them as much as I do. It helps a little. :D

charismah 05-18-2011 08:12 PM

I struggle with this too! LOL

When I make a quilt from fabrics that I LOVE..I never want to give it away. If I make a quilt from scraps or buy fabrics specifically to make a give away quilt..then it is easier for me to give it away.

I am no help.LOL

SueDid 05-18-2011 08:20 PM

Usually when I make a quilt for someone, it's planned for that person so I don't feel like it's mine to begin with. For the first several years I quilted, I didn't have one of my own. My kids had quilts, I made them for gifts, but didn't keep one for me. Finally, everyone who I wanted to have a quilt had one, there was a lull in weddings and new babies and I started quilting for me.

The ones that I make with no recipient in mind are MUCH harder to give away as I made them because I loved the fabrics or the colors or the pattern.

I now have quite a few quilts here. I'm actually giving one away this weekend, my daughter's fiancé's sister is graduating from high school, and it's hard, BUT I know she will love it AND I thought I'd actually given that one away! LOL. I was looking through my quilts to see if there was one I could bear to part with (and trying to come up with a plan b if there wasn't) when I came across this one that I could let go.

When I'm making a new quilt, the first question everyone who sees it asks is "who is it for?"

I almost feel embarrassed saying they are ALL FOR ME :)

Sadiemae 05-18-2011 08:28 PM

Simple, I make them in blues, greens, country colors, or pastels. I know that if I make them in bright purples and teals they won't leave, but others won't be hard for me to give away.

Tartan 05-18-2011 08:31 PM

You just haven't reached your quilt saturation point yet. You've reached quilt saturation when: the bed in the spare room is starting to look like the "Princess and the Pea" bed, you can hardly turn over for the quilts on your bed, you've made a quilt for EVERYONE in your family and there is no more wall space for wallhangings. :-D

crafty_linda_b 05-18-2011 08:37 PM

You just have to just tell yourself it's NOT for you this time *L* someone will be so pleased with it and will appreciate you for all the effort you put into it...crafty_linda_b

Charlee 05-18-2011 08:47 PM

Once, when a friend (Navajo woman) gave me a silver and turquoise bracelet that her grandmother had made and given to her, I asked her if she was sure that she wanted to give up something that had to be ever so special to her. Her answer to me was this:
"The same grandmother once told me that a gift means nothing if it means nothing to you. I wanted my gift to you to mean something."

I think of that a lot when I'm giving up something that means a lot to me.

DebraK 05-18-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Once, when a friend (Navajo woman) gave me a silver and turquoise bracelet that her grandmother had made and given to her, I asked her if she was sure that she wanted to give up something that had to be ever so special to her. Her answer to me was this:
"The same grandmother once told me that a gift means nothing if it means nothing to you. I wanted my gift to you to mean something."

I think of that a lot when I'm giving up something that means a lot to me.

That is beautiful.

Lynnie25 05-18-2011 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
I struggle with this too! LOL

When I make a quilt from fabrics that I LOVE..I never want to give it away. If I make a quilt from scraps or buy fabrics specifically to make a give away quilt..then it is easier for me to give it away.

I am no help.LOL

Neither am I any help. Now I know why I have a bed piled high with quilts of all shapes and sizes and quilts throughout the house - there's too much of me in them to part with them.

But I am sure it won't be a problem for DH or the kids to give them away sometime in the future - so if you want one of my quilts, just hang in there for a few more years yet :) one may come your way EVENTUALLY !