Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you cut & carry swatches for fabric matching??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-cut-carry-swatches-fabric-matching-t162598.html)

dahlshouse 10-23-2011 09:51 AM

I have been looking for a good way to carry swatches with me to quilt shops to match when I need additional fabrics for a project in the works.. I rarely buy coordinating fabric when I initially pick one up...(as usually do this on a shop hop)... figure to get others when I am ready to start that quilt...
Also wonder what is your favorite or best way you have found to take a small swatch of main fabric
Thank you in advance for all your ideas... such a great group of people on this board...

meemersmom 10-23-2011 09:54 AM

I cut the part of the selvage edge w/ the color dots. Takes no room at all in my purse or pocket.

connie_1936 10-23-2011 09:55 AM

i usually cut at least 2' sqs. and and put them in a small baggie. they stay clean and all together

LLWinston44 10-23-2011 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by meemersmom
I cut the part of the selvage edge w/ the color dots. Takes no room at all in my purse or pocket.

Omg, is THAT what those dots are for?!?!? Lol! I never knew!!! Now I'm going to go look at all my selvages!! Hahaha

jmabby 10-23-2011 09:57 AM

One thing that works is to use a cd holder that has plastic envelopes. Easy to carry, easy to access in shops

franie 10-23-2011 10:00 AM

A dear friend here on the board sent me this very flat brag book. I think it is the cat's meow--she said it is for swatches to match fabric. And I went to the store the other day for fabric and I had to wing it as I had forgotten it already!

jrhboxers 10-23-2011 10:09 AM

I have a brag book that I use. I cut a piece of cardstock to just fit the pocket. I then use double sided tape to put the piece of fabric on the cardstock. On the card I write how much I have of that fabric. I tape the color dots on the back of the card. If I am working from a planned pattern - i.e. purchasing fabric for a specific pattern - I print out an outline of the quilt blocks on the back too. HTH

ckcowl 10-23-2011 10:10 AM

the color dots on the salvages are the true colors used in that piece of fabric (all of them)so the salvage dots will help you match colors perfectly-
an actual swatch will help with design too-
often 2" is just not enough to show the true feel of the fabric- sometimes it is (if it's a very small print)
i generally try to cut a 4"-6" piece of fabric-an extra 1/8 yard gives you an extra 4 1/2" strip of fabric--
a small project notebook is nice= you can glue strips of each fabric you are using along with pattern information- and any key notes all together to refer to when ever you need to= it also lets you go back at a later date and see exactly what you used for any given project....i keep one for projects and a separate one for battings

the casual quilter 10-23-2011 10:12 AM

I use a zip lock bag.

quiltsRfun 10-23-2011 10:16 AM

Right now I'm using a notebook that has an elastic to hold it shut. I make notes on the pages about the project, amount I have of each swatch and what I'm looking for. I either pin the swatches together and attach to the page or sew them to a strip of cardstock and attach to the page. It also makes a quilting diary of sorts since I keep notes about the projects. Might try the brag book next time around.