Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you decide what to make next? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-decide-what-make-next-t134428.html)

lynnie 07-01-2011 06:39 AM

i wish i knew what to work on next. i really should finish putting tog my funky farm blocks, and start my holiday ornaments, but i need something fun and funky

MrsM 07-01-2011 06:54 AM

While I am working on a project something always comes up. I have so many projects I want to do. I try to do them in an order of importance but if I have something that is for someone else, that usually comes first and I go from there. However a new fabric may throw this all into disaray. :roll:

np3 07-01-2011 06:56 AM

I always have a few things going at one time. I have the next project that has to be finished by a deadline going in one spot in my sewing room and my most recent "I'm so excited to be working on this" project going in another spot. Then there's another spot with the project that keeps catching my eye......got to try that one out.....maybe check out the pattern why preparing dinner...

I never restrict my creative side. I go with what appeals to me at the time and may have MANY things going at a time. It works for me because I am retired and have all the space I need to spread out.

The DGKs don't mind when they visit because they are also "crafty" and love to help with my projects.

Sophie2 07-01-2011 07:52 AM

I work on "deadline" projects first. I always have a list by my machine of project I hope to get to. I find I need to write things I want to do or I forget and then after getting into a project I had remember there was something else I wanted to do. My list is never ending!

Tartan 07-01-2011 07:59 AM

I work on special projects that have a time factor first. I am working on finishing some UFO's this year and they are coming along well. Then I work on what strikes my fancy (off my massive Bucket list). If something else comes up, I put my stuff aside to work on requests (if it's something I feel like doing) if not I say NO! I get less done in the summer because I want to enjoy my garden before snow flies again.

Scissor Queen 07-01-2011 08:08 AM

I don't think I've ever really thought about it. Mostly I just do whatever is next. I always have several projects "in the works" so there's always something to work on. Things take priority if they have due dates. Right now my top priority is getting the wall hanging done for the fair. Then I think I have a baby quilt to do before too long for a friend. Everything gets dropped when there's a baby quilt due. I always have them done within a month of the baby's arrival.

I don't do quilts as gifts for Christmas or birthdays. It's too much stress to quilt on that kind of deadline.

After the wall hanging and the baby quilt are done I have three twin size quilts that need done, a queen size that's ready to put together and a queen size that's ready to quilt.

jljack 07-01-2011 08:09 AM

There is always an "event" quilt that is due just around the corner...birthdays, etc. If not working on one of those, I have a pile of "kits" I have made up with fabric and pattern in a large bag. If I don't have a specific quilt that needs to be made, I just take what's on top and start it. And, I have been working on a king size quilt for our bed for over 18 months...it just keeps slipping down to the bottom of the pile. DH constantly reminds me of it!! :thumbup:

happymrs 07-01-2011 08:18 AM

No lists, I quilt for me. Whatever inspires, or calls my name, I go for it. That keeps it exciting, interesting, & challenging for me. Love it all! Do some different applique techniques right now, & am really loving that too...

jillnjo 07-01-2011 08:32 AM

I have the FWQ half pieced and layed back for wintertime. I am pretty much spontaneous from project to project. I like to have small items to do more than lots of large quilts at one time. And a fabric I love can throw all my plans helter-skelter!!

Flying_V_Goddess 07-01-2011 09:17 AM

Depends on a lot of things, but I have to like it.