Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you do it??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-do-t10603.html)

mfre42day 08-27-2008 02:21 AM

I don't know how you gals do it! I mean some of you get quilts done almost weekly. I'm still working on handquilting the border of my granddaughters star quilt nearly two years later...I surely am not the only single working outside of the home gal on here, am I??? What are your secrets, how do you cut, sew and quilt so quickly? I so need to complete this one so I can begin and complete 5 more for her brothers and cousins.

vicki reno 08-27-2008 03:32 AM

I am not a fast quilter either, so don't feel bad. MY first quilt took over ten years to finish. My siblings kept having babies and my project always got pushed out of the way so that I could make a baby quilt for the new baby. I work outside the home, so long hours at work slowed me down too as far as getting any sewing done.

We have been on a strict 40 hr schedle this year--first time in 20 years due to the slow economy and building industry, so I have the time and luckily, my stash runneth over so I am getting more done this year.

Craftybug 08-27-2008 03:33 AM

Don't feel bad sweetie, I hand quilt also and I'm not that fast either. I got into the habit of putting a few quilt tops together first and then start quilting them. I started quilting in 2006 have put together 8 quilts and so far quilted 3 and starting my forth one now.

beachlady 08-27-2008 04:13 AM

I am retired and do too many other things to sew all the time. The ones that do produce every week are so organized - makes me tired looking at all their wonderful projects!!! But they do inspire all of us and we love looking at what they do. I just keep thinking....someday that might be me!!!

Cathe 08-27-2008 05:39 AM

My husband works - I do sewing for clients, but not full-time.
I have a sewing room and plenty of storage space.
I am done raising my children.
I live in town now, with no outdoor chores, garden, or animals to take care of.

Twenty years ago, however, I got VERY little sewing done!

bj 08-27-2008 05:55 AM

I'm pretty slow myself. But I'm retired so I can sew when I want and for as long as the eyes hold out :) I also read a lot and keep my grandson as often as his folks will let him come (usually 7-10 days out of each month). I too am amazed at the quilts that get done by our friends here on the board. There is some amazing talent out there! Gives me something to aspire to. :) :)

DA Mayer 08-27-2008 06:21 AM

There are just so many people on the board that show their work it may seem like everyone gets more done than you. Many machine quilt also so goes faster. When i made my first big quilt it took 7 years to make, and at that time I was told a good quilt takes years to make. A few years ago my mother and mother in law were in the hospital for quite a while a month apart. I was making a sampler quilt that each block was quilted seperately and then sewn together. I took it everywhere with me. (I worked part-time) had 3 young children, but I got more accomplished on my quilting than I do now.

sewnsewer2 08-27-2008 07:02 AM

I crank mine out so fast because I don't work anymore (retired) and I'm hyper. I also have insominia. I get very depressed if I'm not kept busy. :lol:

zyxquilts 08-27-2008 07:03 AM

I'm not one of the fast quilters either, but when I'm in the zone....well let's just say that sleep is overrated! :wink:

chairjogger 08-27-2008 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dear Mfre,
I know what you mean. This sawtooth edging is killing me ! THe baby will be too old before I get it done !!

Ellen