Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you find the time??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-find-time-t34447.html)

love2quilt... 01-18-2010 08:31 AM

I'm amazed at all the quilts that each of you make. My question is how do you find the time? I work all week, come home, walk the dog, (most of the time) make dinner, clean-up, spend some time with my honey, and then it's time to make coffee for tomorrow. By then there's no energy or time to quilt. I squeeze it in on Friday and Saturday nights usually. I probably quilt once or twice during the week, but for no more than an hour. Are you at home during the week that you accomplish so much quilting? Do you have a cyber sew clone? Please tell me!!

katier825 01-18-2010 08:33 AM

I sew when I should probably be cleaning! LOL

sew_lulu 01-18-2010 08:35 AM

I wonder how these people do it too. Like you, I have a full time job, a toddler, and everyday choirs are just too exhausting to pull out my sewing stuff to sew.

I think I just need to make time for it.

Can you believe my goal is only to make one quilt a year? So far, I'm able to achieve my goal for the last three years.

Good luck!

love2quilt... 01-18-2010 08:37 AM

All the time!! That's why I need a maid . . . so I can quilt. :)

charismah 01-18-2010 08:38 AM

Well I am a full-time student...work part time and have 6 kiddos and DH. I sew because it relaxes me. I usually sew after the kids go to bed...and dh works early hours so he goes to bed early as well. SO I have the house to myself and sometimes I probably should be cleaning or studying ...but sewing helps me.

I can sew without thinking ..so night time is a good time. I study better during the daytime hours.

jacee kay 01-18-2010 08:39 AM

I was laid off last April so I am at home most of the time and have time to spend in the sewing room.
When I worked I had to make time to quilt. I sometimes got up early and had a short time before going to work. If I had an evening that after supper I was free I took advantage of that time.
I did have to make time to spend but I enjoy it so much that I managed to do it.

watterstide 01-18-2010 08:40 AM

I am retired, and use the crock pot alot for dinner!

I go in spurts anyways..sometimes i get on a roll, and sew for 3 or 4 days, other times, i may not sew all week,or two weeks before i touch the machine.
i could of never done this when i worked, i worked swing shift and raised 3 of my own kids and had 5 foster kids too..Don't know how i even got through that! (alot of help from husband)
i think if i were in that position again..i would designate a day and time, that was for just me..even if it was for only an hour.
If mama's happy,they are all happy..

sewnsewer2 01-18-2010 08:47 AM

I don't work, my son does most of the cooking and I clean up.

Plus I have insominia. :(

Esqmommy 01-18-2010 08:54 AM

My business is slow, so I find time during the day when kids are at school...I rarely sew at night cuz I'm tired. Weekends are a good time too!

Maride 01-18-2010 08:55 AM

When DH and I were working I got home at 5:00pm, made dinner, and DH and the kids helped clean the kitchen, including the floors. One load of laundry went to the washer and by 7:30 I was in the sewing room. We worked in the same place so we had time to talk in the car and during lunch. I used to sew until 10:30 or 11:00 and watch th enews with him. On weekends we dedicated 2 hours every Saturday morning for cleaning, everyone with a chore. Sometimes a little more. By 2:00PM I was sewing. Then most of the day sunday. My room was big and open, so DH could come and watch TV there with me and the kids could come do homework or draw while I sewed. I made more quilts then than now that I am unemployed. I am also not up to sewing yet since surgery. Hopefuly soon.