Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you get started? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-get-started-t199031.html)

KwiltyKahy 08-31-2012 04:56 AM

I'll make you a deal, you come clean my oven and I will cut out your quilt.LOL

Originally Posted by a (Post 5477296)
I am going to make a big admission... I will do every form of displacement therapy to get away from starting a quilt. I have even been known to clean the oven rather than start cutting. I know once I start I will be fine.

Actually I am sitting here tonight looking at a great selection of fabrics and yet I am posting on here...

I have a flying geese quilt in my sights, I have planned it in my mind's eye... so please someone, tell me to get on with it... and it would be lovely to hear that I am not alone!

liese 08-31-2012 05:40 AM

I'm sort of like this -- my problem is I hate to cut into such beautiful fabrics! I LOVE just looking at them, touching them, etc. But when the quilt is done and I get the "Ooooo's and Ahhhh's" from admirers it certainly all worth it. If only they knew what I go through to get to the Done point! LOL Glad I'm not alone.

sunny42539 08-31-2012 05:49 AM

I love quilting but I hate cutting. If I could find somebody to do the cutting I would be in heaven.

vickig626 08-31-2012 06:15 AM

sorry you're having problems motivating yourself to quilting. I would rather sew / quilt more than anything else. I always seem to have to get one more block finished before I can do anything else, like cooking, cleaning, etc.

BUT....next week, I MUST stop sewing to get the house straightened up.

jcrow 08-31-2012 06:32 AM

Okay, it's been a month now since I've sewn. I have so many projects, UFOs and new projects, waiting for me and I can't decided. I need to get my baby quilt done first, but it's just sitting there. I go into my sewing studio every day, but leave after a few minutes. I always plan on at least straightening it up, but don't even do that. My heart isn't into it right now. I just came off of doing a lot of quilts and I think I burnt myself out. I just wish this would go away. I'm not even reading the quilting magazines I get in the mail. Something's gotta give soon!

kellen46 08-31-2012 06:37 AM

procrastination and a long long life.

Oh my you are so so not alone. I have a stack of about 10 full size quilt tops that I spent 3 days pin-basting. They sitting on a chair in my living room waiting for me to start quilting them....ahem, what have I done, made another quilt top, cleaned a closet, set out two new projects to start, in fact every thing except getting those suckers done. Don't know why I am this way but I sure am. Now I will deep clean the kitchen, set up my annual t-shirts and socks tie dye project and then maybe I will want to sit on that chair so I will quilt them up....but when oh when, hopefully before the holidays. Well I go though this every year and so far I have not missed a Christmas so yeah probably before Christmas. In the mean time I will have churned out a couple of more tops, because I superstitiously believe if I ever get caught up I will die. So far I think I will live into the next century, but only if I don't buy any more fabric or make a trip to the thrift store.

QuiltnLady1 08-31-2012 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5477540)
I have no trouble starting . . . IF I buy fabric specifically for a certain pattern. My trouble is drawing from my stash. "Oh, there's too much of that one and I don't want to waste." "That one would make a nice dress for DD/DGD." "I really love this piece, so should save it for something more special." "I don't have coordinating fabric, for that one." The list goes on and on. :rolleyes:

This is me -- when my stash was smaller I did not have this problem but now I find that I start grabbing fabrics for one quilt, then another, then another and the result is I have a big mess and no place to sew.

Momo 08-31-2012 07:54 AM

Seems that my problem is so much other stuff to do.

Grandma Mary 08-31-2012 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5477383)
Thats funny, because I am a great starter and horrible finisher

I'm with you. I love getting started but hate the sandwiching/quilting part of it. I don't mind doing the binding. I think everyone has their speed bump in a project.

sewmo 08-31-2012 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by RosMadeMe (Post 5477296)
I am going to make a big admission... I will do every form of displacement therapy to get away from starting a quilt. I have even been known to clean the oven rather than start cutting. I know once I start I will be fine.

Actually I am sitting here tonight looking at a great selection of fabrics and yet I am posting on here...

I have a flying geese quilt in my sights, I have planned it in my mind's eye... so please someone, tell me to get on with it... and it would be lovely to hear that I am not alone!

And I have been known to start cutting a quilt rather than cleaning the oven!! LOL