Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you keep your quilt sandwich smooth? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-keep-your-quilt-sandwich-smooth-t123769.html)

Beachbound 05-17-2011 10:17 AM

I ususally hand quilt & can get out any wrinkles when I hoop. I'm makingf a tshirt quilt & need to tie it & I'm afraid I may have a wrinkle or two under there. I have to make my sandwich on the family room floor & with the carpet it's not as tight as I would like. Any tips?

amma 05-17-2011 10:18 AM

I place the backing down, and then use pins to slightly stretch it. It is easy to get the pins to stick into the carpet :wink: Smooth out the batting and then the quilt top.

I find by keeping the backing slightly taut, it keeps wrinkles from forming in the backing :D:D:D

wolfkitty 05-17-2011 10:28 AM

Some people tape the backing to the floor to keep it taut.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-17-2011 10:34 AM

I lay my batting on my dining room table. I then use spray basting and smooth the backing over the batting. It seems to work better for me if I keep the backing on top where I can see it. After that's spray basted, I flip it over and spray baste the top. I usually pin around the very edges just because I never seem to get it sprayed all the way to the edge.

After that I take a shower because I have batting fuzz sprayed to my arms. Next, I mop the floor just in case, but I've never had a problem.

deranged_damsel 05-17-2011 11:00 AM

I hand quilt, and use the floor to sandwich.... it can be very difficult because the backing always bunchs up when the batting is layed out. I use cotton batts and the fabric sticks pretty well... what I do is lay out the backing, then batting, FLIP the two over and smooth it out, FLIP it back, then lay out the top, smooth, and then Baste/pin.

it may not be the most efficient method, but HEY! works for me :D

amazon 05-17-2011 11:40 AM

I crease the center of each layer at the top, bottom and side edges about an inch in, then I tape mine to the floor with masking tape,on the edge of the backing.I pull it rather taut. Then I tape the cotton batting with about (4) one inch pieces of tape per side , Then I layout my top. Align all of my centers and tape down the top using less tape than on the backing and then I use the little gardening kneeling pads under my knees and pin about every 6 to 8 inches.The safety pins glide right across the linenoleum.Once its pinned , I pull off tape layer by layer and have never had a wrinkle. One of the advantages of taping is you can walk on your sandwich layers to smooth out all wrinkles. :D**** The only tip I have for carpet is get the "T" pins, they are heavy duty. When you pin,push pin thru layers angle pin up and out from the edges , then pull back toward the quilt top. It gives you a nice taut hold.

Flying_V_Goddess 05-17-2011 11:53 AM

My last quilt was a t-shirt quilt and I don't have the floor space to sandwich a quilt so I used the wall. Tacked the backing to the wall, pinned the outer edges of the batting to the backing, and pined the top through the other two layers---I used the large bent saftey pins on the t-shirt parts and regular quilting pins on the sashing and borders

tonvic 05-17-2011 04:52 PM

I would avoid the floor method by contacting the nearest church and ask if they have 2 8 ft tables set up and if they would let you lay out and pin your quilt there. Most will say yes, come on down. I feel it is much easier when not having to deal with the carpet, not to mention I am not as young as I once was. :-)