Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you make kitchen appliance covers? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-make-kitchen-appliance-covers-t81979.html)

NancyG 12-10-2010 04:03 PM

Has anyone done a tute on making your own kitchen appliance covers, i.e. toaster, blender, etc. or has anyone made their own? Is it easy to make your own pattern? Do you quilt your own material or buy the pre-quilted? Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

magpie 12-10-2010 04:11 PM

I used hand towels, just sewed 2 or 3 together depending what appliance it was for. Sew together lengthwise and then sew one end closed. Slips right over appliance. have made them for kitchenaid mixer, deep fryer and blender.

Riversong 12-10-2010 04:20 PM

What is a kitchen appliance?? I havent seen one in ages.If I do Ill just toss a dish towel over it. I only leave my quilting room for coffee.Hubby cooks. Ill ask him. :) :P :lol: :P :-P :-P :mrgreen:

MTS 12-10-2010 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by NancyG
Has anyone done a tute on making your own kitchen appliance covers, i.e. toaster, blender, etc. or has anyone made their own? Is it easy to make your own pattern? Do you quilt your own material or buy the pre-quilted? Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

It's your personal preference - if you can find something pre-quilted you like that matches your decor, great. Use it!

Go to BB&B and look at how their covers are constructed. But really, it shouldn't be that difficult. A toaster oven, toaster, coffee maker are all rectangles, more or less.

I'd take a FQ or 1/2 yard or fabric, and make a sandwich and quilt it - either meander or lines - whatever. Then I'd cut the pieces from that quilted fabric. You could sew it together wrong sides together, and then "bind" all the exposed seams (which would be on the outside) with a contrasting fabric.

Does that make any sense?

Post pictures if you do make something.

klgreene 12-10-2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Riversong
What is a kitchen appliance?? I havent seen one in ages.If I do Ill just toss a dish towel over it. I only leave my quilting room for coffee.Hubby cooks. Ill ask him. :) :P :lol: :P :-P :-P :mrgreen:

My hubby cooks too, and the most used appliance in our kitchen is his jerky maker. :shock: :shock: :idea: But maybe I should think about making something to cover our old toaster over with. Nope, he'd probably turn it on with the cover on, burn it up and then I'd have to repaint. I'll leave the kitchen alone.

granma1 12-10-2010 05:07 PM

Ya Katie. Don't go crazy and mess up a good thing.

klgreene 12-10-2010 05:31 PM

Oh trust me, I wouldn't do that. It's really nice having him decide what to make, then he even brings it to me in the sewing room or computer room. I get to clean up the dishes, but I'd rather do that than try to figure out what to eat.

Cyn 12-10-2010 05:31 PM

I switch it up according to what neat thing I have seen lately :)