Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you manage your stash when you don't have any space for it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-manage-your-stash-when-you-dont-have-any-space-t29438.html)

ginnie6 11-28-2009 08:11 AM

Looking at all the pictures on the web of sewing rooms and stash cabinets is not good for me! I'm thinking about making a couple of the kids move out lol! Seriously though I don't have a sewing room or space for tons of stash. What I have is a corner of our bedroom and a small space in my closet for stash. Its getting crowded in there though. I've folded everything as neatly as I could....using the ruler method but I see the day coming where everything is NOT going to fit. So I'm trying to plan ahead. I need ideas of how to keep my stash where I can see what I have and still get to it easily. Right now the only thing I can come up with is stacking those plastic shoeboxes up on the shelf in my closet. That is kind of going to be a pain though as I will need a stool to reach them.

BellaBoo 11-28-2009 09:03 AM

If you can't see it or get to it easily, then any method will be a hassle. I know. I use to keep my stash in plastic bins. It was easier for me to go buy more fabric then to sort through the bins for fabric I know I had in one of the bins.

Catherine 11-28-2009 09:10 AM

perhaps those air bags where u suck all the air out. Maybe that would help.

sewgray 11-28-2009 10:08 AM

I wonder if anyone has tried those "Shoe Under" storage thingies that slide under your bed. I looks like it would be good for fat quarters.

kluedesigns 11-28-2009 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by sewgray
I wonder if anyone has tried those "Shoe Under" storage thingies that slide under your bed. I looks like it would be good for fat quarters.

i agree, you can buy bins that span the entire width of the bed - and for even more room you could elevated the bed a few inches more.

BellaBoo 11-28-2009 10:34 AM

I would put a long ribbon or cord on the handles of storage bins under the bed. Sure would save a lot of time pulling them out. :D

crkathleen 11-28-2009 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm currently using the pastic storage bins. I have my fabric sorted by colors and I have a general idea where everything is. It's not a hassle for me because I'm a slow worker, and it gives me an opportunity to reaquaint myself with what I have. My sewing room is the livingroom.

crkathleen 11-28-2009 10:46 AM

i tried picking up all the kitty toys :) but missed a few

Damkina 11-28-2009 11:06 AM

Only this week am I trying to sort out the very same problem. I've got one small drawer under the bed and bags piled up in the corner, a precarious couple of piles on top of the computer unit then the bits I've just left on the dining room table that I'm using.

So, totally fed up with the set-up, yesterday I've ordered some extra deep book shelves which are arriving on Monday, and now looking for some suitable baskets or nice boxes for all the fabric, books and the plethora of sewing stash.

I picked book shelves so that I can actually see what I've got at a glance without all the rummaging for something I remember buying last year... sometime.
Joanne

pocoellie 11-28-2009 11:57 AM

We're supposed to manage our stash?LOL The overfill of fabrics goes into the very large plastic totes, sorted more or less by color of type of fabrics.