Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you prep your fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-prep-your-fabric-t252470.html)

SueSew 08-25-2014 01:16 PM

Another vote for skip the pre-wash. If you have to starch and size it back up after washing what is the point?
Don't shoot! :):D

Sewnoma 08-25-2014 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 6859690)
I pre-wash all fabrics in warm water, because I prefer working with clean (chemical-free) fabric, and because I don't like the idea of fabric shrinking unevenly after it's been sewn together; that seems potentially problematic to me. I don't pre-test my fabric for bleeding, though I think that's a good idea. I do group my fabrics for color when pre-washing, and use a color catcher for most loads (and they do often come out with quite a bit of color in them.) I dry the fabric in the dryer, then hand press and fold for storage. I press the fabric before cutting, using Best Press.

This is pretty much exactly what I do, too, except that I TRY to remember to pull the fabric out of the dryer when it's still just a touch damp, and I drape it over a stand-up clothes dryer thing in my sewing room. Especially with long yardage - my machines like to twist up longer pieces of fabric and if it dries with those creases it takes way too much work to get them back out again.

hautewife 08-25-2014 01:17 PM

Wow, I'm surprised that so far the majority pre-washes. I had never heard of a "color catcher" before. I also especially like the idea of dipping in boiling water to test. Also, the point of washing away chemicals is reason enough for me to pre-wash. My son has sensitive skin so if for no other reason, that is good enough.

Jeanne S 08-25-2014 01:18 PM

I preWash all dark color fabric yardage. I preWash light colors sometimes if I have the time and energy. If i do preWash I iron with spray starch before using. I rarely use precuts but if I do I never preWash them..

hautewife 08-25-2014 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 6859720)
I do pre- wash every fabric with just a little detergent and no softener, gentle/ short cycle.

Either dry in machine on low setting or hang outside (weather).

I do not iron fabric at this point but straighten and fold it and put into stock shelf.

I double starch on back, press on front ( starch & press - starch & press). I do this after I cut the amount I want to use off the main length of fabric. It just makes it easier to handle. Re fold the main piece and place in basket that goes with project. I like to keep all my fabrics for one project together in case I want to cut more.

I also don't like to cut out an entire quilt at one time. What if I cut it all wrong!

After the starch& press I will begin to sub cut the fabric into the pieces I need for the project.

Why do I do this? It really does make the fabric easier to handle, controls fraying and distortion. The number one reason is because I like to play with fabric. It is all part of the joy of making a quilt. There is a meditation and calmness in doing these acts as part of the creative process. I love it.

peace

Thank you for the tips on how to starch and press. Also your reminder to embrace the entire process as meditation is encouraging.

PaperPrincess 08-25-2014 01:31 PM

Do an experiment. Take a yard of printed cotton. Measure both the length and width. Machine wash & dry. I have found that if you put a yard in, you get a yard out BUT it almost always shrinks width of fabric. Sometimes a half inch, sometimes almost 2. I prewash everything. Prints shrink and Batiks bleed. I am also a starcher. 1/2 StaFlo, 1/2 water, dip the fabric, dry till damp, then iron.

AngeliaNR 08-25-2014 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew (Post 6859725)
Another vote for skip the pre-wash. If you have to starch and size it back up after washing what is the point?
Don't shoot! :):D

Me, too (though I have been known to wash heavily dyed flannel and batik--usually red ones).

ShelleyCS 08-25-2014 01:43 PM

Like others, I pre-wash. I have allergies and develop a cough if I don't. Washer/dryer, just as I expect the quilt will be washed, so hopefully, no further shrinking. To be honest, I use good fabric and I've yet to have significant shrinking except with flannel. I hand press out of the dryer, then iron and press with starch before cutting. It gives the fabric a bit more body and makes it easier to work with.

Welcome to the board.

calla 08-25-2014 01:44 PM

I prewash if I am making a garment, for example a jacket. However for a quilt seldom. I read once that a gal prewashed and she snipped on the diagonal one corner to mark the fabric it had been washed.

Stitchnripper 08-25-2014 01:50 PM

The only thing I've pre washed is flannel, and maybe something from a garage sale if it isn't "fresh" smelling. So far I haven't had any problems. I'm not a starcher. I have Best Press, Niagara, and the old discontinued Bounce. They don't do much for me. That being said, I don't do intricate quilts, mostly patchwork or strips.

Also, to the OP, we have a search function you might try using as a start to your questions and then go from there. I'm pretty sure the wash vs. no wash has been discussed a bunch of times. And still no consensus!!!