Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do YOU search for fabric online? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-search-fabric-online-t194391.html)

Favorite Fabrics 07-12-2012 07:44 AM

How do YOU search for fabric online?

Do you search by the name of the manufacturer?

Or the designer?

Or the name of the collection?

Or maybe you search by a description of the fabric?

Have you ever been so specific, that you have searched by the pattern number of a fabric?

Or do you just go to the online stores you like?

Or do you just surf the web checking out what's new?

I was just kind of curious...

SouthPStitches 07-12-2012 07:50 AM

All of the above!

mrswordwiz 07-12-2012 07:52 AM

Same here all of the above!

Lori S 07-12-2012 08:02 AM

I typically search for a specfic project(s) by type first . But if I know a specific designer is coming out with something .. like Peggy Toole for Robert Kaufman , I will search by designer name for results then the manufacture , as sometimes they may not be listed by the designer, just the manufacture.
I have been so specific in searching that I use the manufacture number.. that always seems to yield the least results, but on occasion have lucked out .
Many times .....more frequently than I should , I use the "Stumble Upon", "impulse method". In other words I just happened to be looking for one thing and found another. This "method" is most commonly used when a sale or another specific reason has bought me to a site... but almost always to sites I am familiar ,or have made purchases in the past.

Becky Crafts 07-12-2012 08:12 AM

I have to agree. All of the above. I had trouble finding Magical Yule fabric last year & in desperation went to the manufacturer where I was given a list of places who sold it & still worked down to #6 on the list find the piece I wanted. It depends on how I learned of the fabric & how much info I have on it. A lot of my shopping is from what I see on the internet in the Fab Shop Hops. I get myself in a lot of trouble with all that gorgeous fabric I see out there! LOL!

Crafty1 07-12-2012 08:15 AM

I generally search by designer and name on selvage or collection. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't :rolleyes:

fairydawn 07-12-2012 10:42 AM

Quilt Shops.com type in fabric name or designer and it will pop up shops that carry it. Then you can check to see who has the best price too.

beatys9 07-12-2012 11:11 AM

If I am looking for a specific fabric I start with the most exact info I have, such a pattern number or collection name, etc. If I get no hits, I broaden the result by using less specific info, such as just the designer, or manufacturer. If I still don't find it, then I can get very braod, like ' Asian or Floral'. Sometimes this gives me too many results, but the side benifit is I find other lovely fabrics I like & end up buying them. In turn, I then search for coordinates of the 'new' fabrics I have just found... As such is the genesis of a fabric lover - collecter - hoarder :) I've been know to check 50+ pages of Google resuts.... thereby skipping sleeping some nights.

Sometimes, I just surf through a category such as holiday or floral or border, depending on what I'm in the mood for. Just love fabric!

BellaBoo 07-12-2012 11:18 AM

If I only have a picture of the fabric and no info I type in Google Image Search: Green fabric with purple leaves and white dots. I have great luck searching for the image and that takes me to a link.

ckcowl 07-12-2012 12:06 PM

i often have an idea of what i'm looking for- a color family- or perhaps a 'theme' - then i visit my favorite on-line shops & browse to see what they have that catches my eye- if nothing is what i am invisioning i visit other shops to see what they may have- once in a while i need something particular (like a certain blue fairy frost) then i visit the shops i know have the best selection and price on fairy frosts-
but most of the time i just browse till i find that one (right) fabric