Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you sew muslin foundation pieced blocks??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-sew-muslin-foundation-pieced-blocks-t42328.html)

lovemonkie 04-10-2010 01:54 PM

Hi. I've finished 90 10" log cabin blocks using muslin for foundation piecing. This is my first time doing this and am not sure how to sew the blocks together:

Do you just seam them and leave a seam showing on the back?

Do you add a light flannel backing to cover these seams? (What if you don't want to add the backing because of weight???)

Do you sew the top together and whip stitch the mulin edges of each block?
I'm confused!
Thanks for any help.

Pam 04-10-2010 02:02 PM

Sounds like any of the above. I would think that sewing together and then using strips to cover the raw edges in the back would be attractive, make a nice grid on the back of the quilt.

Candace 04-10-2010 02:21 PM

You need to add a batting and a backing like any other quilt block. You would seam the blocks together before adding a batting and backing. The muslin is simply another layer but adds stability. You could use flannel in the middle instead of a batt if it's too heavy. Then you'd machine quilt it all together.

lovemonkie 04-10-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
Sounds like any of the above. I would think that sewing together and then using strips to cover the raw edges in the back would be attractive, make a nice grid on the back of the quilt.

I like that idea. However, I'd have to clean up the loose stitching threads. The grid of each block would be visible on the back-I think that would look ok....?

lovemonkie 04-10-2010 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
You need to add a batting and a backing like any other quilt block. You would seam the blocks together before adding a batting and backing. The muslin is simply another layer but adds stability. You could use flannel in the middle instead of a batt if it's too heavy. Then you'd machine quilt it all together.

That would make it nice and neat.
I read somewhere that it could be machine quilted minimally with each square tied in the middle.
Does that sound ok?

eparys 04-10-2010 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by lovemonkie
Hi. I've finished 90 10" log cabin blocks using muslin for foundation piecing. This is my first time doing this and am not sure how to sew the blocks together:

Do you just seam them and leave a seam showing on the back?

Do you add a light flannel backing to cover these seams? (What if you don't want to add the backing because of weight???)

Do you sew the top together and whip stitch the mulin edges of each block?
I'm confused!
Thanks for any help.

I would sew them tog as if it were one piece of fabric and add a flannel back - then either tie it ot Stitch in the Ditch

lovemonkie 04-10-2010 03:15 PM

That sounds like a winner! I had better wash and dry the flannel many times so it won't shrink.

Thank you all.

craftybear 04-10-2010 04:56 PM

please post a picture when done

lovemonkie 04-11-2010 11:44 AM

I will, thanks! :D