Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you stay focused? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-stay-focused-t84021.html)

fleurdelisquilts.com 12-19-2010 10:12 PM

Right now I'm bouncing between chatting on this board, playing a computer game, watching TV, and adding to my blog.

When I go into the studio I rarely get more than 2-3 blocks sewn before I'm on to something else. I realize that I have a "touch of ADHD" but surely there must be a trick to sticking with something for a while. Any of you also deal with this problem? How do you keep yourself from wandering off?

Quiltforme 12-19-2010 10:17 PM

I have several projects startd to keep me busy when the mood his me. That way I don't get bored easy. Try smaller projects that will give you the satisfaction of start to finsh quickly.

QuiltnCowgirl 12-19-2010 10:18 PM

I have the opposite problem. I start sewing and can't quit. Hence the couple of all-nighters I did last week. I do periodically wander out of my sewing room & come check for new posts here. I guess that counts as taking a break?

tjradj 12-19-2010 10:18 PM

I sew after I've sent my kid to bed.
Then I put on a pot of tea, turn on my classical music, and sew.
Before I know it, 3 hours have passed and I have to crash or I won't be up in the morning.
Perhaps, shutting the computer down, and setting aside a certain time to sew would work. When you know you have 2 uninterrupted hours, things can happen.
Perhaps if you need to get up often, use that as an excuse to iron, when you need a change - do some cutting, then when you need to change, sew again. :::>????

angelwatcher 12-19-2010 10:56 PM

I'm interested in solutions for this too. I'll start something and then get distracted by another project or like today I cut out several wool sweater mittens while watching a movie, sewed one pair and discovered that the pattern needed an extra inch added to the bottom to fit correctly. Now I don't want to sew the other pairs because I've lost the momentum. I do this alot, get excited about something, cut out the fabric, then lose interest.

Is there something we can take to keep our focus?

Cuilteanna 12-20-2010 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by angelwatcher
Is there something we can take to keep our focus?

I'd be interested in that! I have going-on-half-a-quilt (50 blocks out of 140) on my wall, and every time I walk into my sewing room to work on another block I walk out and head for the television, computer, or a nap before I've done anything.

Possibly it's because some insane impulse of mine said I could make it "scrappy" instead of buying large amounts of a number of fabrics as the pattern dictates. This means I have to make decisions about what fabrics to use in each block, and I don't do that well. I even tried to colour in EQ so I'd have a better idea, but have random amounts of each fabric so no idea if what I coloured was possible.

I have done a few small "craft" projects in between, mostly because they had deadlines, but would really like to get more of the quilt done!

loopywren 12-20-2010 12:23 AM

I wish there was an answer because I am the same.

quiltinghere 12-20-2010 03:47 AM

Seriously - have some caffeine! It is a self-medicating drug of choice for ADD/ADHD adults. We didn't have ritalin - just caffeine.

keep telling yourself OUTLOUD what you're supposed to be working on.

Only have 1 simple thing turned on to LISTEN to and if that's too distracting - shut it off and listen to the sounds of your house. :)

Japonica 12-20-2010 06:11 AM

Well being a natural Type A personality, I am into several things at one time. When I did work outside the home, it came in very handy. It was called Multitasking!!! Which, by the way,I was very good at!!! I don't try to stop this part of me. it is who I am and meant to be. I have fused glass projects started, stained glass lamps started, crochet projects started and now I just starting getting into quilting. All my projects eventually get finished and I try to not put the pressure on for Christmas anymore. I do have coffee though to try and get focused. Right now, I am pinning together a rag quilt (3rd one in 3 weeks) and I am a little sleepy so, I plan on curling up with my pups for 1/2 an hour, then start sewing my blocks.

Go with the natural rythmn of your body. It will work out!!!

Murphy 12-20-2010 06:52 AM

I think it is good for your muscles and mental state to get up periodically and do something else. I find I actually accomplish more when I "move around".