Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Far Apart will you quilt Warm & Natural (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-far-apart-will-you-quilt-warm-natural-t209065.html)

Kryssa 12-22-2012 08:28 PM

How Far Apart will you quilt Warm & Natural

I have a quilt to put together now and I want to go around 8.5" squares. I think the package says something like it's okay to quilt up to 11" apart, but I am still a little nervous. Usually I do about 6" apart and I've never had someone tell me it's fallen apart on them.

Can anyone make me feel a little bit better about this? If I go inside the squares I'll feel a little bit defeated as I have "spoken" to this quilt and it doesn't want to be quilted that way ;)

pumpkinpatchquilter 12-22-2012 09:37 PM

Hmmm, I quilt everything probably, 3" or 4" at the most, but I just like a lot of quilting. I don't always necessarily take what the package says as rule. I think in most circumstances you're better off doing a little more quilting than less. I think if you're hesitant then trust your instinct! :)

theandersonhouse 12-22-2012 09:41 PM

I usually quilt a little more closley than that. Maybe about 3 inches is about as far as I get.

dublb 12-22-2012 11:45 PM

I've always been happy w/followin' the package directions. If it says 11" then it should be fine for 8.5 inches. Ya should be good ta go. :)

ckcowl 12-23-2012 03:13 AM

the recommendations on the packaging are the maximum amount that should be left unquilted to avoid separation of fibers- meaning with warm & natural it is ok to leave 10" of unquilted space if you wish...closer is always ok- leaving more space could mean separation could happen...if you want to quilt w&n every 2" you can- you can quilt as close as you choose as long as it's at least every 10"...that goes with any batting you are using- if the recommendation is every 4" you can quilt totally close, every 1", 2" 3" or 4"...if you quilt every 6" or 8" you risk separation of fibers...

alwayslearning 12-23-2012 06:15 AM

I was taught to leave no more space than the size of your fist. But...the size of my fist differs from the size of my sister's fist, which differs from ... I think it also depends on how the quilt will be used.

dunster 12-23-2012 06:48 AM

Listen to the quilt. It has already spoken to the batting.

Seriously, if the batting package says 11", that's good enough.

Raggiemom 12-23-2012 08:31 AM

If the package says 10" apart is okay, then I generally quilt that far apart but I like less quilting. My quilts are regularly washed and none of them have fallen apart. They have a puffier look than the flat look of heavy quilting. Depends on what you like.

patricej 12-23-2012 09:04 AM

i am very fond of Warm & Natural, so this is absolutely not a complaint or criticism of that product.

the batting shrank more than i expected when i threw a recently made quilt into the dryer.
i relied on the package estimate of "safe" quilting distance.

i should have listened to my instincts and habits, which say no more than 3" apart - preferably no more than 2".

if you plan to never throw it into a dryer, though, the package is more or less correct.

thimblebug6000 12-23-2012 09:39 AM

I have seen a quilt that was hand quilted every 10" with warm & natural. It was a wedding gift & when washed the guild member brought it in to show us how it had areas where the batting had migrated into a lump. She had to cut slits in the backing & remove batting & replace & restitch. Even if you just take a couple pieces of fabric that are 10" and put some batt in it, you can see the 3 pieces do not lay nice & flat after washing, try a little sample.