Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How far would you travel for fabric ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-far-would-you-travel-fabric-t207218.html)

Little RoO 11-29-2012 04:46 AM

How far would you travel for fabric ?

I am working today in Exeter (which is about 100 kms from where I live), have just stopped for lunch and my mind wandered to the quilt I am making for my daughter..... I am in search of that one dark fabric that will make it pop.....so I switched on my computer and searched quilt shops in Exeter........oh, and I got so excited.....up popped this amazing looking shop "quilts and calico" .......I just love finding new shops to explore........sad to say however I probably won't make it there today.....on reading the address more carefully I realise it is based in Exeter, Ontario in Canada.......and I am based in England, UK......I am crest fallen !!!

Plumtree 11-29-2012 04:53 AM

Probably not as far as you would have to go for that shop. My girlfriend and I did drive up to Dallas, TX about 5 hours north for us for a Texas State shop hop. What better reason for a road trip than fabric :-)

QuiltE 11-29-2012 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Little RoO (Post 5686877)
I am working today in Exeter (which is about 100 kms from where I live), have just stopped for lunch and my mind wandered to the quilt I am making for my daughter..... I am in search of that one dark fabric that will make it pop.....so I switched on my computer and searched quilt shops in Exeter........oh, and I got so excited.....up popped this amazing looking shop "quilts and calico" .......I just love finding new shops to explore........sad to say however I probably won't make it there today.....on reading the address more carefully I realise it is based in Exeter, Ontario in Canada.......and I am based in England, UK......I am crest fallen !!!

............... and it's an absolutely wonderful shop!!!

You may have noticed their 2nd location where they have their classes. It's stocked with fabric, supplies and notions too, so that when you are at the class, you can get the extras you need/want! It's just like walking into someone's home. It even has an "English Garden" in the front yard, so you'd feel very much at home! Oh how I'd love to take a class there too.

I stumbled on it a few years ago and it's definitely on my radar when I am in the area. Although, from home it's only about a 2 hour drive for me and not quite the commute it'd be fore you, Little RoO ;).

Sometimes I think it is good that it is that far ... or I'd be there a LOT more and my stash would be even bigger.

HillCountryGal 11-29-2012 05:11 AM

Well... poop.
I'd say England to Canada would be a bit far.
BUT, if you're "in the neighborhood".. :o

quilter1 11-29-2012 05:12 AM

LOL, I just may have to check this one out. It is about a 2 hour drive for me.

alwayslearning 11-29-2012 05:24 AM

Oh, those nasty details!

MTS 11-29-2012 05:49 AM

But, on the upside, you're only a couple of hours away from Oakshott's warehouse sale tomorrow..........
http://www.oakshottfabrics.com/news/...housesale.aspx

Most certainly worth the price of the petrol.:thumbup:

eta: if your home location is further north, than the traveling time is even less.
I'm so envious of your proximity.

JMCDA 11-29-2012 05:53 AM

LOL...I drive to Exeter all the time! Quilts and Calicos is my fav LQS, they have all the fabrics I adore, lots of great kits, books...it's just perfect (for my taste)
I believe it is for sale as well, the sign was up at "the cottage" last time I was over that way....crossing my fingers someone takes it on.
...I live in Stratford ...and drive through Exeter in order to avoid going through London on my way to Morpeth (a few of the many British named towns and cities we have here in SW Ontario) I have the same problem when I do google searches - I often get British establishments!
Joann

Lori S 11-29-2012 05:56 AM

I can tell you my Mom traveled over 500 miles with a broken pelvis .. to get to the "Fat Quarter Queen". That was a booth at International QUilt show when it was in Chicago... There was nothing short of a coma that was going to keep her from getting fabric... and if you ask her if it was worth it... without hesitation she says "YES".

Tothill 11-29-2012 07:14 AM

No specifically to buy fabric, but I have bought fabric in Dunedin and Auckland NZ, Amsterdam and Paris while on holiday. I looked in London UK, but could not afford the prices.

My LQS options are about and hour north or south of where I live.