Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How long does it take you to quilt a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-does-take-you-quilt-quilt-t191623.html)

Mitch's mom 06-13-2012 02:39 AM

How long does it take you to quilt a quilt?

Quilt size 60x72.
If you have a Long Arm?
If you FMQ on your home machine?
If you hand quilt?
If you have a portable frame (Flynn type)?
If you have a small frame (Gracie type) and machine set up?

I'm curious. I know there is set up time getting the quilt ready to sew, but I'm asking about actual stitching time.

mpspeedy 06-13-2012 02:59 AM

A lot depends on how closely you are quilting. I make at least 20 Linus quilts a month and those are machine quilted on my Bernina with a decorative stitch about every 4 inches and then about 1/2 around the edges to create a false binding. I can usually do one of them in about an hour. Anything larger I prefer to handquilt. Again a lot depends on the closeness of the quilting. I am a domestic goddess and can spend as much time as I want on quilting. I could handquilt a quilt that size with a decent amount of quilting in two to three weeks. I get a lot of TV watching in at the same time. For something that size I would use my round floor frame that resembles a large embroidery hoop on legs.
I do have 40 years of experience quilting.

lynndianne 06-13-2012 03:37 AM

For me that would be about 10 years (ha ha). I'm a great starter....it's just the finishing part I have problems with.

Lynn

teddysmom 06-13-2012 03:37 AM

I hand quilt for my own pleasure and relaxation so there's no time limit how when I need to finish. Some days I find myself working on my quilt more than other days. Some days, I don't do any piecing or quilting. This is a hobby for me and not a "must do" every day. So, it's done at my leisure.

Stitchnripper 06-13-2012 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom (Post 5285445)
I hand quilt for my own pleasure and relaxation so there's no time limit how when I need to finish. Some days I find myself working on my quilt more than other days. Some days, I don't do any piecing or quilting. This is a hobby for me and not a "must do" every day. So, it's done at my leisure.

This about says it for me too!!!!

stillclock 06-13-2012 03:43 AM

about a year for a queen sized hand quilted quilt, and that is with some pretty serious intention to finish.

i can turn around a machine quilted queen sized in much less time, though i tend to get distracted or busy or....and they end up taking a long time too.

i am in awe of people who turn around more than a quilt a year or so.

for me, quilting is slow time. from the planning to the hand stitched binding everything seems to be a long process of doing you know?

aileen

117becca 06-13-2012 03:58 AM

I hand quilt and would rather do that than anything else.....work tends to get in the way though. I am starting my 4th quilt this year here in a few days - as soon as i get it basted and put on the frame. I also have a dresden queen size quilt that i will work on "in between" projects - it is actually for me.

The sizes have varied - a twin size coverlet, a throw, a queen size, and then something bigger than a throw but less than a twin size..

annthreecats 06-13-2012 04:29 AM

I machine quilt on my Bernina 1530 and I have only made 3 lap size quilts (about 40 x 50). One was stitch in the ditch and two were meandering. The stitch in the ditch took about 7 hours and the meanders took about 5 hours each. I'm not a perfectionist and I only do this for fun.

alisonquilts 06-13-2012 04:38 AM

I used to handquilt everything, and that is still my preferred method, but I never have enough time to do it anymore. I have had several projects (commissions) in the last year that would have been impossible to handquilt, even if the client had wanted it: T-shirt and heavily pieced and appliqued quilts!

To handquilt the size you mention, as my sole project but only in regular quilting time, would take me about 5 months. FMQ would take a week or two (I use my domestic sewing machine).

Alison

sandy l 06-13-2012 04:44 AM

a 60 x 72 on my Voyager 17, with a meandering pattern, probably a couple of days. I tend to start the quilt, work on it for a while, then find something to do sitting down for a while.