Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How long does it take you to quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-does-take-you-quilt-t58588.html)

stefanib123 08-09-2010 09:52 AM

How long does it take you to hand quilt a bed size quilt? How long to machine quilt one?

I'm just curious. It takes me forever either way, LOL!

I'm still trying to perfect my sewing, I guess the speed will come later.

It seems like I see people on here making a new quilt every week, sometimes, LOL! I want to be that good!

Mousie 08-09-2010 10:11 AM

It takes me forty forevers.
I have chronic pain from health disorders and apparently, aside from that, have always loved having a bunch of projects going and jump from one to the other, depending on my mood.
I am slow, slow, slow,...but eventually I get 'em done and I am happy that way! :mrgreen:

donnajean 08-09-2010 11:06 AM

There are a lot of variables. Size of quilt, hand or machine quilting, regular or long-arm quilting machines, applique, piecing detail, etc.

Originally Posted by stefanib123
How long does it take you to hand quilt a bed size quilt? How long to machine quilt one?

I'm just curious. It takes me forever either way, LOL!

I'm still trying to perfect my sewing, I guess the speed will come later.

It seems like I see people on here making a new quilt every week, sometimes, LOL! I want to be that good!

sidmona 08-09-2010 11:16 AM

As Donna Jean said there are a lot of variables. I am working on a king size now that is taking me about 2 weeks to quilt. I am a very slow quilter and I have a husband that lets me quilt for numerous upon numerous hours per day. If I had only a limited amount of time per day to quilt I'm sure it would take me much longer.

ckcowl 08-09-2010 11:45 AM

the first time i took a full size quilt top to the lqs for advice on hand quilting it they helped me come up with a design and mark part of it then as i was leaving told me..."if you spend 1 hour each day hand quilting you can have a queen size quilt done in about a year."

I had trouble breathing all the way home...and loaded it up and machine quilted it in about 5 hours. ;)

since then i have hand quilted some small projects...it does not take all that long; with practice comes speed :)

to machine quilt (i do have a long-arm) it takes anywhere from 2 hours to 40 hours depending on the quilt and the quilting...stops and starts, color changes add time.

jbud2 08-09-2010 11:52 AM

I hand quilted a 70 x 70 quilt. Started last year some time and put it away when spring came - flannel backing. Got finished during this year's Olympics. I learned a lot about Curling!!!

miss_ticky2 08-09-2010 03:47 PM

Depends on how much time I spend on here looking at other people's quilts ;)

Sharon321 08-09-2010 04:18 PM

Until I have a deadline.

Cathie_R 08-09-2010 04:21 PM

The last one I did took me about 1 1/2 years. That is not quilting on it every day. I would get bored with it and slip other projects in between. However, when I can see that I'm on the down hill side I work on it more frequently. Usually I figure about 9 months from start to finish with other projects inbetween.

KathyAire 08-09-2010 04:35 PM

I'm allergic to doing any hand work. I hate it.