Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how long a session and how many projects? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-session-how-many-projects-t111712.html)

annesthreads 03-29-2011 07:01 AM

Once you sit down to play in your sewing room, how long are you likely to be there? And how many projects do you work on at the same time? I at last have the luxury of time, having retired recently, and am still exploring what suits me best.

Grama Lehr 03-29-2011 07:05 AM

I stay in my sewing room until I need. . . .
to go potty
someone is at the front door
I need to take clothes from the washer or dryer
it's meal time
I need something to drink

I try to work on one thing at a time, so I don't need to change thread colors.
I totally lose track of time while I am in my "studio"

emerald46 03-29-2011 07:07 AM

Yesterday, went in at 9am and left at 4pm (other than 1 bio break). That is rare. I was just in the mood to get some things done. I've not opened the door today. I usually spend at least a couple of hours every day, when I can stop looking at all the gorgeous quilts on this board! Enjoy your time however, you want to spend it!

bjeriann 03-29-2011 07:10 AM

Since I am lucky to have the luxury of time, I spend a lot of time in my sewing room. Anywhere from an hour to 10 hours a day. I have almost everything I need in there except a bathroom (which is only about 5 feet down the hall). I try to only work on 1 project at a time. Thankgoodness for the crockpot, my guys get a hot meal most nights.

Bottle Blonde 03-29-2011 07:10 AM

Well .... I PLAN to be in there a few hours and it usually turns into all day! I try to get my chores done before I start sewing, otherwise they don't get done. I try to stick to one project at a time --- but I currently have 3 quilts in progress right now. Have fun!

Murphy 03-29-2011 08:26 AM

I usually work on one at a time, but have been known to start a second one before leaving. I usually spend a few hours at a time and then move around to avoid stiff muscles. I love the calm I feel there so take it easy and can spend many hours there with calculated breaks. I, too, just recently retired and am finding my way.

luvspaper 03-29-2011 08:31 AM

Usually a few hours and I try to stick to one project during a session, just because for some reason I despise changing my machine feet/settings from FMQ to piecing and back. So if I have FMQ project, it usually gets finished prior to going back to appliquing or piecing.

QuiltnNan 03-29-2011 08:46 AM

I try not to sit at the machine more than an hour. Have to give my back a break. But I'll go in there several times a day. I may have 3 projects going at a time as I like to give a lot of thought to what I've done and make sure the next step is the right one.

Maia B 03-29-2011 08:57 AM

If I were the sort to steal supplies from the hospital (and I'm NOT!), I'd have an IV and a foley catheter to cut ot the "bio breaks". I don't even get to sew everyday, so when I can, I go at it hard.

whinnytoo 03-29-2011 01:44 PM

at least 8 hrs a day.......... I could live in there with no problem whatsoever