Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how many blocks for a lap quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-blocks-lap-quilt-t20686.html)

quiltswithdogs 05-28-2009 07:53 PM

I'm nearly caught up to all of you in the Pioneer BOM club now! I have to get photos and have somebody teach me how to post them. I'm using fabric stash given to me and am not quite certain they really go well; you can tell me when you see them.

But I really like the Wagon Tracks pattern so have decided to make a lap quilt for my mom to use when watching tv. I have fabric in her favorite colors and am ready to go once I finish May's BOM.

I just realized that to make it look like the picture presented, with all the blocks together, no sashing, it has to be just the right number of blocks.

What is the typical size of a lap quilt and so, how many Wagon Tracks blocks will I need to make?

tlrnhi 05-29-2009 03:43 AM

Most blocks are 8, 10 or 12 inches.
Not sure what size your pattern is.
Depending on how big you actually want it....if your blocks are 10 1/2 inches finished, then 4 x 4 would make it 40 x 40, which is ok, but most of my lap quilts I make are 10 1/2 finished squares and I make them 6 x 6 or 60 x 60. I like to be able to cover up with mine.

ceannastahr 05-29-2009 08:36 AM

my lap quilts are usaly between 50 and 60 wide depending on block size so 5x6 like mine on the long side

quiltswithdogs 05-29-2009 05:21 PM

The blocks for the Pioneer BOM are 12".
I guess I'll just have to see how several look together side by side, over and under, to make the overall pattern show well. The pattern is just how the blocks are sewn together, and with no sashing. You can see it here, called Wagon Tracks, for April 09. I really like it. Page 2 shows a whole quilt. My mom is very tiny and just uses a throw over her lap so hers will have to be much smaller than yours. I'll just keep making the blocks until there are enough to show the great pattern, but not be too bulky for her. Getting up is hard enough when one is 88!
But I will remember your suggestions for lapquilts for everybody else. Thanks,
Cathy

june6995 05-29-2009 05:33 PM

I like the idea of large blocks in large quilts
and small blocks in small quilts.

Baby quilts just don't seem to look right with large blocks.
Babies are small and wrapping them in big blocks make the whole
thing seem out of proportion.

I use 8 and 9 inch blocks for lap quilts. Give a nice neat look!

June

Elsie 07-31-2009 10:06 AM

if you are talking about the quilt pattern on the quilterscaches it the size as mine is 4 by 6 blocks then i add borders to mine and they are nice size for lap quilts i also some time cut out my pattern what i think i need and if i need more i make more if i have to many i put it for a scrappy quilt

Lacelady 07-31-2009 10:39 AM

I just counted mine. I have 18 x 9in blocks on point, with a 1 inch border, and 3 in border around. The finished measurements are 59in x 46in.

quiltswithdogs 07-31-2009 12:31 PM

Thanks everyone, I have a much better understanding of how to plan,
Cathy

MadQuilter 07-31-2009 02:37 PM

If you are worried about the weight of the quilt for your mom, you could use flannel as batting. It is thinner and lighter than regular batting. As for the size, since most BOMs total 12, I envision a 3x4 pattern + border(s).