Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many machine bind their quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-machine-bind-their-quilts-t203008.html)

busy fingers 10-12-2012 12:07 PM

I machine all of my bindings. To me it just feels stronger and of course there is the speed of getting it finished.

Sunnye 10-12-2012 01:25 PM

I machine bind all my quilts. Sometimes it's a very narrow one, sometimes it's a wide one and sometimes I bring the backing fabric over to the front. It depends on the quilt; I let it speak to me. But I've never done a binding by hand.

Now, having said that, I also don't make quilts for shows; I make them for family to use.

jcrow 10-12-2012 01:57 PM

I am amazed at how many of you machine stitch your binding. I am so relieved to hear this. I thought I was going to be put down for wanting to do this. Thank you all who took the time to write me and relieve me of my stress of guilt over wanting to machine bind my quilts. Now I will machine bind stress free. And thanks for all the tips. I think I can do a great job with everyone's help. I can probably knock all of the quilts out in a couple of months. I have to take breaks. Binding is not my favorite thing to do. Not yet anyway. It just might become bearable to do it by machine. Thank you all!!!

Dar-midlife 10-12-2012 02:13 PM

I use this method too, and I read or watched it somewhere where Sharon Schamber showed how to do it with glue. I can't remember if it was on her website or on you tube. with glue and an iron, you can get a very nice, straight, binding and stitching.

Originally Posted by Happy Linda (Post 5579914)
I machine bind my quilt's. Sew bing on the front, iron towards the edge, fold to the back and use Elmer's TEMPORARY WASH OUT school glue to attach it to back. Placing it just over the stitching line. Using my craft iron to dry it faster. Then turn it over and sew in the ditch. It makes that binding so much easier to do. YouTube has a tute on this technic.

Jo C 10-12-2012 02:27 PM

I always machine bind and often use a decorative stitch. Can't see well enough to hand stitch.

quilter2090 10-12-2012 02:36 PM

No, it's not awful to machine bind your quilt. I think it's just a matter of taste. I've done both machine binding and hand binding. But, now, with my physical disability I won't be doing hand binding anymore. Don't sweat it! I think we at times are so hungup on making the perfect quilt, when there isn't any such thing. My Mom always said there is more than 1 way of doing things. Make you quilt your way and enjoy the process!:):):):)

susie-susie-susie 10-12-2012 03:01 PM

I still prefer to hand stitch the binding from the back, but my machine has some very nice decorative stitches. It does hearts, leaves, bells, stars and a lot of stitches without a name. If I need to machine stitch the binding I am all set, although few of the stitches qualify in the quick to stitch category.
Sue

mucky 10-12-2012 04:06 PM

I figure if your whole quilt is machine stitched why not the binding? Especially for kids quilts.

Buckeye Rose 10-12-2012 04:15 PM

I put ALL bindings on by machine, sometimes with a straight stitch, sometimes using decorative stitches.......I abhor hand sewing and don't do if I can do it by machine. I have never had any complaints about a machine stitched binding either!

wanttobe 10-12-2012 04:21 PM

Laurafet that is great how you use the vine stitch on the binding. So cute