Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many projects do you work on... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-projects-do-you-work-t200148.html)

alisonquilts 09-10-2012 04:27 PM

How many projects do you work on...

actively at any one time?

I have spent the last couple of months taming my backlog of scraps from the past 14 years of quilting (that's alotta scraps). I had postponed dealing with them because I am not really into scrappies, and because other, more interesting projects kept coming up. Then I saw a pattern in a book, and a technique on the Board, and I got all inspired to make a TON of blocks that (someday) I will turn into a quilt (or six). Now I have a scrap management framework, and I can deal with my scraps as I generate them. Yay for me!

So today I decided to turn out the closet that holds my stash in order to find fabrics for my next regular quilt (the William-Morris-fabric bargello quilt that I have been eager to start for months...). I found tons and tons of great fabrics that will work well with each other and I also found...another giant tote box full of scraps!! Aargh!!! So now I will go back to cutting and "processing" scraps until I get the decks cleared again and can start my planned, non-scrappy quilt because I can only work on one project at a time!

How about you?

Alison

Toni C 09-10-2012 04:30 PM

I usually have at least a couple WIP. I think I have AADD because I have trouble with getting board with a pattern.

kristakz 09-10-2012 04:43 PM

I try to limit myself to 3 - one in piecing, one quilting, one binding. However, I have to admit to 2 Block of the Month currently in addition to that. I just finished 2 quilts (ready for quilting), so now I can start my next "big" one. But I'm probably going to jump into a mystery quilt too. I think the most I'm ever actively piecing, aside from BOM and mysteries, would be 2. And the second one is usually just if I need a leader/ender project for a big quilt I'm working on (or bored with). More than that and I start to lose pieces.

Now, having said that - I have a pile of scraps I was just eyeing today. Will you share the pattern/technique that got you inspired?

dreamboat 09-10-2012 04:48 PM

I have about a dozen in the works. Some quilt tops ready to quilt. Some quilt blocks ready to sew together.

x7lillies 09-10-2012 04:49 PM

It depends on the size of the project. If it's a bed-sized quilt, I'll only work on that one project. But right now, I'm working on placemats, a table runner, potholders, fabric postcards, pillowcases, and christmas ornaments. They're all kind of in limbo until I decide to work on one of them, and some are further along than others. With the small ones, since I make a bunch to try and sell, I like to change up what I'm working on so I don't get bored. For the larger quilts, though, I don't like to lose my focus. And they take so long that I like to plow through. If I didn't, they wouldn't get done for a very long time. Even going straight through, my last quilt took me 4 weeks, all told (from shopping for fabric to hand-stitching the last bit of binding). It's a bargello, actually, and it's here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...o-t198506.html

momto5 09-10-2012 04:59 PM

I get bored very easily so I usually have 15-20 WIPs in progress; some big, some not; some for babies, some for pups and kitties and some for some very grown-up kids! I guess I do okay, I've finished 29 projects (the smallest was 20"x20", and the largest was a king-size) in the last 14 months...and what's even better is I'm not completely nuts (yet)...but I do cheat a bit, I use my LA to quilt...:)...and I LOVE scrappies!

alisonquilts 09-10-2012 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 5505245)
I try to limit myself to 3.

Now, having said that - I have a pile of scraps I was just eyeing today. Will you share the pattern/technique that got you inspired?

The pattern is just a square framed by rectangles, like the individual blocks in this photo:[ATTACH=CONFIG]361877[/ATTACH]
(The frame is two rectangles 4.5 inches x 1.5 inches, and two rectangles 2.5 inches x 1.5 inches; the middle square is 2.5 inches) You can quickly cut zilllions of sets of rectangles, and zillions of squares, and then mix and match.

The technique is string piecing on a foundation; I'm afraid I can't find the post. The person posting used 6 1/2 inch square backing; I'm doing 4 1/2 so my finished "box" squares and the string pieced squares could be used in the same quilt(s) if I want. This technique uses up all the offcuts of long skinny bits left after I've cut the 2 1/2" squares and 1 1/2" strips for the rectangles!

I admire people who keep their scraps organized by width and shape and value, but I just ain't there yet. I think this system will work better for me...but ask me again in fourteen years!!

Alison

Lori S 09-10-2012 05:12 PM

14 years of scraps!!!! WOW that would be Lots and lots of scraps. Hope you are having some fun making up quilts from them.
I can only work on one project at a time. Maybe its my up bringing... I can still hear my Mom saying "did you finish....?" when I would ask for fabric for a new project. I was never allowed to start something new without finishing anything I started. I tried it a couple of time but I got too anxious ..and this overwhelming feeling of I had to get one done so there would only be one project in process.

alisonquilts 09-10-2012 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by x7lillies (Post 5505265)

I remember admiring this when you first posted it - it is gorgeous!!

Alison

x7lillies 09-10-2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by alisonquilts (Post 5505301)
(The frame is two rectangles 4.5 inches x 1.5 inches, and two rectangles 2.5 inches x 1.5 inches; the middle square is 2.5 inches) You can quickly cut zilllions of sets of rectangles, and zillions of squares, and then mix and match.

If I may, you might try strip chain stitching the rectangles (and the inner squares for that matter), a la log cabin construction. It goes so much faster, and you'll be making all the identical blocks at the same time.

Also, I also found the string quilt technique today and thought it'd be a great way to use up my scraps!