Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many quilted - PRC - Pre rotary cutter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-quilted-prc-pre-rotary-cutter-t160706.html)

Wonnie 10-16-2011 01:40 PM

My first one sans rotary cutter was a Log Cabin. It's been around the block a time or two but still used.

Learner747 10-16-2011 01:52 PM

I quilted before rotary cutters came along. I would make my quilt piece pattern out of stiff paper and would pin it to a few pieces of fabric and then cut. I was a stay at home mom so the time was not a factor. When I had cut many pieces, I would begin piecing and would cut more as needed. Was I ecstatic when I heard about rotary cutters! Quilting sure has been a different world since then.

grannypat7925 10-16-2011 01:54 PM

Before the rotary cutter I did mostly cheater quilts and just hand quilted around the blocks. Now it is so much more fun!

Quiltbeagle 10-16-2011 02:25 PM

I cut out my first quilt...a Tennessee Waltz...with scissors. All the squares were marked with pencil and it took almost forever. It was completed though, and hand quilted within 6 months back in 1987. It was my only project though. and before the days I had a stash.

Taughtby Grandma 10-16-2011 02:30 PM

I did and still have the calouses on my fingers to prove it. haha

gigi10 10-16-2011 02:37 PM

I just love to quilt. Some one asked me about 2 days ago, "So you quilt?". I responded, "Constantly, I go to bed quilting and I get up quilting". My Dh just shook his head in agreement. I keep a hand cut/hand piecing/hand quilting project going all the time. From start to finish I love to do it by hand and I love to rotary cut and strip sew.

StitchinJoy 10-16-2011 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Back in the day before the rotary cutter , I figure lots of quilts got started but never got past the boring cutting with templates , a pencil, and sissors.
My first quilt seemed to take forever just to cut out.
How many here quilted before the rotary cutter? What quilts did you make using the old templates and sissors ?

I began quilting in 1969 with scissors, pencil, and cereal boxes for templates. I hand sewed and hand quilted more than 100 quilts before I was able to afford a sewing machine. That was a happy day!

I made loads of traditional patterns that I based on quilts I saw in the Newark Museum in Newark NJ. (They have a quilt exhibit there now with some of those same quilts that inspired me.)
I made traditional pieced quilts: Log cabin quilts, Sawtooth stars, 9patch quilts, 4patch quilts, Lone Stars, Sister's Choice, Weathervane, Shoofly, Churndash, Jacob's Ladder, Three and Six, Snowball, Nelson's Victory. I had one quilting book early on-- Ruby McKim's 101 Patchwork Patterns.

gigi10 10-16-2011 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy

Back in the day before the rotary cutter , I figure lots of quilts got started but never got past the boring cutting with templates , a pencil, and sissors.
How many here quilted before the rotary cutter? What quilts did you make using the old templates and sissors ?

I began quilting in 1969 with scissors, pencil, and cereal boxes for templates. I hand sewed and hand quilted more than 100 quilts before I was able to afford a sewing machine. That was a happy day!

I made loads of traditional patterns that I based on quilts I saw in the Newark Museum in Newark NJ. (They have a quilt exhibit there now with some of those same quilts that inspired me.)
I made traditional pieced quilts: Log cabin quilts, Sawtooth stars, 9patch quilts, 4patch quilts, Lone Stars, Sister's Choice, Weathervane, Shoofly, Churndash, Jacob's Ladder, Three and Six, Snowball, Nelson's Victory. I had one quilting book early on-- Ruby McKim's 101 Patchwork Patterns.

Your work shows every loving stitch you make. It radiates love and prayers. Those who recieved one then or in the future will return the love and time. We are rich because we quilt, the old way or the new way. We have piece and contentment, a quite place for our hearts and minds to grow or heal, to think our own thoughts. Most of the world does not have this or even know how to obtain it. We are rich, all of us.

Favorite Fabrics 10-16-2011 03:46 PM

I started quite a few quilts... but only finished five. All were simple squares, or log cabin blocks.

No. Make it six. Now that I think of it, the "finished" ones outnumber the "started" ones!

That's better than I thought! I guess it is mostly the smaller projects that I started and abandoned along the way.

G'ma Kay 10-16-2011 04:24 PM

My standby's were dresden plates and drunkards paths.