Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many rulers or tools have you bought but... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-rulers-tools-have-you-bought-but-t27461.html)

DebJ 10-21-2009 09:09 PM

Haven't fully learned how to use yet? Or am I alone in this area of having done this? :lol: Lets just say I have several I need to get down and play with until I get the hang of how to use, and use correctly/accurately. :?

Boston1954 10-21-2009 09:20 PM

I have about 3 or 4 different sizes, just regular Omnigrids. I pretty much know how to use them. But I have one for diamonds that I am still figuring out. I think it is a little off in its measurements, because when I match the fabric to other rulers, it seems just a bit larger.

TX_Cutie 10-21-2009 10:33 PM

I'm with you on owning lots of cool stuff but not knowing how to properly use it. :D

I'd like to take a class on how to accurately measure with all these fancy rulers. I've got the big olfa mat, the fancy ruler, and a sharp cutter but still...somehow....it doesn't come out the way it's supposed to.

Heck, I need a basic class on how to match up selvages and when to cut on the bias, etc. =)

patricej 10-22-2009 12:05 AM

i never buy a ruler if it looks like i have to "learn" how to use it - especially if it requires a companion book and/or a class. if it isn't obvious from looking at the picture, or looks like it will take more than a few minutes with the instructions that come with it, i move on.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-22-2009 03:20 AM

I can still only get accurate cuts from my plain old ruler about 90% of the time. I don't think I'm ready to move up to fancy.

Favorite Fabrics 10-22-2009 04:13 AM

I'm with Patrice. If it isn't a "duh, that'll really save me time, AND it's straightforward", then I pass on it. I'm not really a gadget person... I prefer simple multi-purpose tools that don't take up a lot of space.

What I have occasionally been bad with, is attachments for my sewing machine. I buy 'em, try 'em out once, get frustrated that there's a learning curve... and then put 'em away, sometimes for years, until I'm forced to use them because there's a particular project for which the attachment is essential.

BellaBoo 10-22-2009 05:12 AM

I like specialty rulers. I have a drawer full of instructions on how to use them. When I need one I rummage through the papers and this keeps my memory fresh on what rulers I do have that does what. The rulers that come with quilt books I have them attached to the book. I have one ruler that only has 7/8 measurements marked and I have used it much more then I thought I would. I keep the smaller rulers in a basket, the large ones hanging on the wall and the med size one in a ruler rack.

Marcia 10-22-2009 07:30 AM

I have a lot of "special" rulers and I use them all. I have found that using the right tool makes the job go faster and the results are better (for me, anyway)

Some of the specialty rulers I have are for triangles, kaleidoscope quilts wedges, Dear Jane blocks and flying geese.

DA Mayer 10-22-2009 07:31 AM

I think only one. I just use it for lots of other things.

Ninnie 10-22-2009 07:57 AM

After using the same long, 5" wide ruler for 10 years, I broke down and bought a new 6" wide Omdngrid. It has The yellow-green markings. I tried using it, and went back to my old one, which has all black markings, and a lip that catches on the side of my cutting board. I couldn't read the new markings as well, but will keep trying it until I can. :lol: :lol: Rulers are not cheap anymore, and I have several squares that i use to square up, and to check my squares for sizing. I have had to replace my 6 in one twice, have worn 2 of them out. But the long one with black marking is still my favorite.