Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much $? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-%24-t128248.html)

dublb 06-05-2011 11:37 AM

What is a reasonable price for a Singer 401? I see lots of 'em on E-bay with a wide range of prices? I would really like one of 2 of these machines, ! for me &1 fro the girl I mentor!!

KatFish 06-05-2011 12:25 PM

I got mine from the Goodwill store and I paid $50. Mine was in the cabnet with all of the goodies. The 401 is a real workhorse.

deedum 06-05-2011 12:27 PM

I think you can find them for around $50. Great machine, don't forget the 301. Another great machine that can be found reasonably.

dublb 06-05-2011 02:04 PM

OK then the E-Bay prices are way high! I have more questions!
* How many decorative stitches does it have without the cams?

* How are it's straight stitches?

* Is it good for piecing?

* What do you guys use it for?

* How good is it for SID or FMQ?

* Does it sew through denim?

Thanks in advance for all the info ya'll provide!!:)

KatFish 06-05-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by dublb
OK then the E-Bay prices are way high! I have more questions!
* How many decorative stitches does it have without the cams?

* How are it's straight stitches?

* Is it good for piecing?

* What do you guys use it for?

* How good is it for SID or FMQ?

* Does it sew through denim?

Thanks in advance for all the info ya'll provide!!:)

I think 7 stitches ( going from memory so I could be wrong here) without the cams, sews a perfect straight stitch, great for SID, haven't tried it out for FMQ yet, sews great through denim, great for piecing. I mostly use this machine to play with and piecing. I have the Singer 500 and 503 so they all use the same cams. I mostly use the 500 & 503 for the fancy stitches. I have 15 sewing machines so I have way too many toys to play with so it takes me a while to figure out everything out on that machine.

tjradj 06-05-2011 05:17 PM

The biggest warning about buying machines on eBay is to make sure the seller knows what they're doing in packing them. Some arrive smashed because they were simply put in a box and shipped.
They have to be packed securely inside the box-not in styrofoam peanuts but wrapped in bubble wrap and stuffed in with cardboard until you cannot budge it inside the box. Then have it double boxed.
The packing has to be done as if you expect it to be dropped off a 20 foot cliff.
And make sure the seller insures it!

ontheriver 06-05-2011 06:41 PM

I got mine at thrift store for 47.00.

jaciqltznok 06-05-2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by dublb
What is a reasonable price for a Singer 401? I see lots of 'em on E-bay with a wide range of prices? I would really like one of 2 of these machines, ! for me &1 fro the girl I mentor!!

what is the difference in the 301 and the 401? I have heard that everyone really wants the 301..like a FEatherweight, but larger for FMQ....they are not cheap even on ebay now!

Carron 06-05-2011 06:49 PM

Good information about the packing....thanks

ontheriver 06-05-2011 06:52 PM

Ok, just went and counted decorative stitches on mine, there are 27 without cams and you can do variations by moving the red lever.