Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how much to buy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-buy-t77014.html)

josiegirl 11-17-2010 05:30 PM

I'm a new quilter and yes I am addicted. I find quilting ideas and colors running through my mind all the time. Of course I have no idea how to make them all. But the biggest problem is when I go into a fabric shop with no quilt pattern in mind and see a piece of material that I know I must have for some future quilt. How much to buy? That is troubling me. Did I buy enough for that future quilt. What does the experienced quilter do? A yard? Two yards? Please help.

SuziC 11-17-2010 05:38 PM

A min of 3 yards if i like it and more if i can afford it :lol:

jodimarie 11-17-2010 05:38 PM

there are no hard and fast 'rules' when it comes to buying fabric!! I have purchased an entire bolt down to a single fat quarter....and all lengths in between. If it is a focus fabric, I would try for at least 2 yards and if it is a backing fabric, at leat 5-6 yards. solids and tone on tones, I try for a half yard. I do a lot of scrappy styles and can usually go into my stash room and pull out what I need. When in doubt...buy more....there is no experation date on fabric. I just pulled out a Valentine print with the year 2000 on the salvege.....cute little cupids and hearts!!

Jodi in Kansas

bjnicholson 11-17-2010 05:45 PM

I have that same problem. What I've found is after looking at a bunch of quilt patterns, I'm kind of getting a feel for yardages. Go on line and download some patterns (they're all over the place) and look at the requirements for different patterns such as Irish Chain, Double Wedding Ring, Flying Geese, etc. Then when you see a fabric you can't live without you'll have some idea of how much you need and...then add a yard or so!!!

amma 11-17-2010 07:14 PM

2 yds if you like it, 3+ if you LOVE it :wink:
I find that by purchasing 2yds, I will have a nice amount of fabric for many patterns.
If I find really good deals, I will buy enough so I can use it for a quilt back :D:D:D

littlehud 11-17-2010 09:02 PM

If it calls to me, I buy 2-3 yards. If it yell across the fabric store I buy all I can.

luvTooQuilt 11-17-2010 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
If it calls to me, I buy 2-3 yards. If it yell across the fabric store I buy all I can.

Yup Me too!!!!

Murphy 11-18-2010 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud

Me three!!

flowerjoy 05-20-2011 07:25 AM

thank you for asking this question. I am new to quilting and was also wondering about fabric yardage if not going for a specific quilt pattern. Very informative.

valsma 05-20-2011 07:29 AM

I have the same problem, so depending on how much I like it, what it cost and wether or not I want to use it for the focus fabric I buy a yard aor two. I'm still having problems trying to figure the backing fabric out.