Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Much Do You Spend? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-do-you-spend-t48688.html)

Twisted Quilter 06-07-2010 07:23 AM

I'm just curious...on average, how much do you spend when making a quilt? I think I invested about $30.00 in my first quilt. I haven't purchased binding or backing so the cost is definitely going up. Hopefully, I can really get my monies worth w/my JoAnn's 50% off coupon.

I know there's a lot of variables, but just wondering.

gaigai 06-07-2010 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I'm just curious...on average, how much do you spend when making a quilt? I think I invested about $30.00 in my first quilt. I haven't purchased binding or backing so the cost is definitely going up. Hopefully, I can really get my monies worth w/my JoAnn's 50% off coupon.

I know there's a lot of variables, but just wondering.

Good gosh, I think I had well over $500.00 in my avatar quilt. But the photos ran about $300.00, and the fabric was all LQS. And that isn't counting the new sewing machine!

Dagny 06-07-2010 07:28 AM

Probably on average, $200-250, but as Gaigai said, $500 wouldn't be out of the question. If I'm going to go through that much effort, I want the materials to be worthwhile also.

thequilterslink 06-07-2010 07:29 AM

on full size and larger quilts i spend between 80.00 and 150.00 on tops alone, then add batting, backing if i dont' get the fabric on sale.

Scissor Queen 06-07-2010 07:31 AM

I buy a whole lot of my fabric on sale so I have a good stash to pull from so it's really hard to say. I think some of my quilts have cost between $100 to $150 for all the fabric and batting. I have made a whole bunch of scrap quilts out of the leftovers though so that brings the cost way down.

I do have some quilts that cost a whole lot more because they were BOM bought at full price at the LQS. I bought them because I liked the pattern and to help support the LQS.

quiltinghere 06-07-2010 07:33 AM

I buy fabric when I see it...usually on sale days.

But I recently purchased over $100 to add to a 'scrap' quilt I was making...just to make the colors RIGHT.

Guess it's what you can afford at the time.

IrishNY 06-07-2010 07:34 AM

I don't spend as much as the previous posters but I don't make bed size quilts, just bigger lap quilt size. And I usually use some fabrics from the stash that I have no idea how much I paid for them originally. I'll guess around $100 - that's 10-12 yards of fabric so that's probably close. That's just the direct cost - I'm not counting the machine or the longarm or all the tools and rulers that I have amassed. Fully loaded, the cost would be much higher. I don't think I want to know. :|

I am only counting the fabric that gets used in the quilt. Not the fabric that I buy for it but don't use and add to my stash.

athenagwis 06-07-2010 07:40 AM

Yeah most of my quilts are smaller, but I have a hard time buying fabrics that have no current purpose, so I miss out on most of the sales. I’d say I usually spend $100 to $150.

Rachel

DebraK 06-07-2010 07:43 AM

lol, I don't like to think about it. Probably why I do a lot of scrap quilts, so I don't feel like I'm throwing money away ;-)

I find that when I buy yardage for that one special quilt, I can still see the fabric in two more scrap quilts. I stretch my quilting dollar as far as I can.

dkabasketlady 06-07-2010 07:52 AM

I don't want to think how much I've spent for each quilt. I could take a really nice vacation,lol! Vacations come & go, but quilts are here to stay(hopefully).