Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric for a D9P? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-d9p-t78587.html)

magnolia 11-24-2010 09:29 PM

I want to make a baby quilt for my new niece on the way. She is due in February so I have time. I want to make it with the disappearing 9 patch pattern. I don't actually have a pattern and was going to try and wing it. How much of each fabric do I need if I want to use either 4, 5, or 6 fabrics? Sorry, I don't know how many I want to use yet. I want the quilt to be about 38" X 45", the same size as the quilts for kids (that's the same size my other nieces and nephew got). Thank you all for your help. I was hoping to find some good deals on fabric when it's on sale. I haven't heard of any black friday cyber-sells for fabric yet.

I just realized that QFK has the pattern for one using 3 fabrics. I want one with more variety 4, 5, or 6 fabrics.

quiltingaz 11-24-2010 09:38 PM

Use the QFK pattern as a guide. Do you want more than 1 focus fabric or 1 with 3-4 coordinating fabrics. I just calculate how many blocks I need and size of blocks to find yardage.

If you nedd 6 6" blocks of each color, you would need about 1/4 yard as you can cut 6 blocks for each 6 inch strip you cut. I think that would be the best way to calculate yardage. Just be sure to add a little for mistakes. Add for borders and binding of the colors you want.

OK, is this clear as mud. LOL

cbridges22 11-24-2010 09:41 PM

Well if you cut the patches 4 1/2 inches each then it would make each 9 patch 12 1/2 square so 3 across would be 36 1/2 and 4 down would be 48 something.So it depends on how many fabrics you use as to how much you will need.

magnolia 11-24-2010 09:45 PM

This is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks! Math is not my subject and I am having a hard time visualizing this since I've never made this pattern before.

I'm not sure I will use a focus fabric (other then for the borders) because I'm not sure where to place it. I think I will do a focus for the borders and then 4 or more coordinating fabrics for the 9-patch blocks.

smitty 11-25-2010 12:58 PM

good old graph paper helps me figure out a lot of patterns.doesn't need to be to size, just count the # of blocks, etc. good luck. this is one of the fastest patterns that really looks good. if you use the different fabrics for the corner squares (when you fist start out), and keep the other 4 squares one consistent color, plus a consistent color for the middle square, you will have more pattern showing and your ending small squares will show well.
hope that is clear !

magnolia 11-25-2010 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
good old graph paper helps me figure out a lot of patterns.doesn't need to be to size, just count the # of blocks, etc. good luck. this is one of the fastest patterns that really looks good. if you use the different fabrics for the corner squares (when you fist start out), and keep the other 4 squares one consistent color, plus a consistent color for the middle square, you will have more pattern showing and your ending small squares will show well.
hope that is clear !

Thanks this helps a lot.

retired2pa 11-25-2010 02:58 PM

I purchased 2 charm packs from Missouri Star Quilt Co. and made a D9P lap quilt and had a few left over for the back of the quilt also. I didn't measure anything...just sewed my 9-patches and cut, rearranged the pieces and sewed them back together.

These are so much fun and easy to do :) Have fun.