Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do I need? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-i-need-t34636.html)

Candela59 01-20-2010 09:03 AM

Okay, this is probably a dumb question but I can't figure it out.

I've just semi-completed my 2nd quilt top. I just have to sew the rows of blocks together. I need to know how much fabric I'll need for the backing.

The quilt top measures 48" x 54" and I'm going to use a non-directional fabric for the backing. I realize that I'll probably have to piece the back, but that's not an issue.

I'm ordering the fabric online and just want to make sure I get enough :?:

I calculated that 2 yards was sufficient, but now I'm not so sure! Help!

pvquilter 01-20-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Candela59
Okay, this is probably a dumb question but I can't figure it out.

I've just semi-completed my 2nd quilt top. I just have to sew the rows of blocks together. I need to know how much fabric I'll need for the backing.

The quilt top measures 48" x 54" and I'm going to use a non-directional fabric for the backing. I realize that I'll probably have to piece the back, but that's not an issue.

I'm ordering the fabric online and just want to make sure I get enough :?:

I calculated that 2 yards was sufficient, but now I'm not so sure! Help!

How wide is the fabric you plan to order. If it is only 45" you will need more.

Candela59 01-20-2010 09:20 AM

It is the standard 45". It is from Moda's Gobble Gobble line.

I used some of those fabric calculaters online and got two very different amounts. One said I needed 1 1/2 yards and another said I needed 3 1/2 yards. Geez!

So, I figured I go to the experts!

pvquilter 01-20-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Candela59
It is the standard 45". It is from Moda's Gobble Gobble line.

I used some of those fabric calculaters online and got two very different amounts. One said I needed 1 1/2 yards and another said I needed 3 1/2 yards. Geez!

So, I figured I go to the experts!

I think I would get 3 yards of 45" fabric. You could piece with the seam going across the quilt. 3 yds is 108". Cut that in half, then you would have 2 pieces 54x 90. That would leave enough for quilting. Your back should be larger that the top. Are you hand quilting, machine quilting, or having it done by a longarm quilter?

BellaBoo 01-20-2010 09:34 AM

You'll need two yards long and 1 1/2 yards wide. so if piecing you will need 2 1/2 yards. I'd get 3 yards.

Candela59 01-20-2010 09:39 AM

Thanks...I think I'll go with 3 yards...what's a few more $$ at this point, right?? LOL

I'm going to hand quilt it. I made my daughter a quilt for Christmas and thought I would quilt it on my machine..but noooo! The neck on my little Brother is just too short. So, I wound up furiously hand quilting hers and found I love it!

I'll post a picture of it when it is done. I have until the 3rd week of February to do the quilting...much better than the 10 days for my daughter's! Good thing it was a small lap quilt...lol

Thanks!

amma 01-20-2010 10:01 AM

Having extra fabric is always a good thing...you can make a pillow or other accessories out of the left overs :wink::D:D

susiequilt 01-20-2010 10:23 AM

Leftovers could also be used for the binding.

MadQuilter 01-20-2010 01:10 PM

You need about 3 yards for the length but you will have quite a bit left over because one length will be a narrow piece.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-20-2010 01:19 PM

I would get atleast 3.