Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-buy-t181351.html)

Gaye Aday 03-02-2012 06:16 AM

How much fabric do you buy?

I am new to the quilting "passion" and wonder how much fabric you buy when you find it on sale and don't have a specific project in mind?

DebbieJJ 03-02-2012 06:27 AM

Waaaayyyy too much! According to how much the final price is, and how much I can afford, I usually get a cart full of whatever I like. I usually buy prints on sale, so when I need solids, I "have" to go buy them (oh, woe is me, another trip to the store)! LOL

EllieGirl 03-02-2012 06:29 AM

I buy only what I need. I always have some project going. I guess I don't plan ahead far enough to buy ahead. I just wait until I'm ready to start a project.

DebbieJJ 03-02-2012 06:31 AM

I need to clarify, I'm somewhat new to this obsession of quilting, too. So when I see some fabric that I'd like to make a quilt from someday, I never know how much I'm gonna need for whatever pattern I decide on. That's why I buy too much. By the way, I'm a contender for the top spot in "She who dies with the most fabric, WINS".

Tartan 03-02-2012 06:36 AM

I usually buy 3 yd./m. This gives me a long enough piece to cut 1 piece borders and usually enough for whatever design I want to do. I say usually because I will be adding other fabrics with it and I don't do King size quilts. 3 will also give me a piece big enough to back most baby quilts.

sandraa 03-02-2012 06:38 AM

I like to buy wholesale by the bolt, that way i always have enough. If I am buying for a specific project, I buy at least a yard more than I need, but I too am a contender for the same title.

TanyaL 03-02-2012 06:47 AM

I only buy for a specific project. That doesn't mean one that I am working on or one that I am starting. However, if I fall in love with a particular fabric, like the feature fabric on the Romance collection by Tina higgins Designs for VIP by Cranston (and not any of the rest of the collection) I will get that one 2 or 3 yards at full price and then hunt and search for other fabrics as I c an find them to go along with them. It may take a year or more for me to assemble exactly what I want. When I spread it out over that long a time, if I pay full price for many of the fabrics it's not too bad. My quilts take a year or more each for me to make.That's design and contruction time after I have the fabric. I'm slow! LOL!!

Karen's Kreations 03-02-2012 07:00 AM

When I first started quilting I binge bought fat quarters. Now I buy with a specific project in mind and always at least a yard more than I'll need - sometimes I need a wide margin for errors! But, if I see a fabric that I love I'll buy 3-4 yards of it - unfortunately that happens way too often.

Mazda 03-02-2012 07:02 AM

I usually buy 3 yards.

joyce888 03-02-2012 07:05 AM

One of the first things I ask myself is how I would use the fabric; in a block, for sashing, backing, or borders and what size of quilt you would want to make. A block 1 yd of each fabric (this all depends on how many blocks are in your quilt and how many different fabrics you would want), sashing 2 yd, backing at least 4.5 to 5 yd, and borders 2.5 yd. All this would make a lap to twin size quilt.