Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Much Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-t34138.html)

Elizabeth-Liz 01-14-2010 02:23 PM

I know that this has been talked about before, but I thought I would ask y'alls opinion on this one. I have a friend who is going to Africa and she is going to bring me back some material to make a quilt with. I do not not know what I want to make but I need to tell her how much to get me and how many different prints/solids to get me. I was thinking of two wall hanging, where I could make one for her, since she is getting me the materials. Do y'all have any thoughts? Thanks for the help.

chewboo 01-14-2010 03:28 PM

im not much help i have never done a wall hanging

brushandthimble 01-14-2010 03:37 PM

My suggestions:
3 yards for borders, that should do both;
maybe a couple of 1/2 yard pieces and a couple of 1 yard pieces. why not 1/2 dozen FQ too? that would give you enough to play/start with and should give you at least a couple of options. of course this all depends on your budget:)

Oklahoma Suzie 01-14-2010 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
My suggestions:
3 yards for borders, that should do both;
maybe a couple of 1/2 yard pieces and a couple of 1 yard pieces. why not 1/2 dozen FQ too? that would give you enough to play/start with and should give you at least a couple of options. of course this all depends on your budget:)

I was thinking about the same.

butterflywing 01-14-2010 09:59 PM

i don't know if she'll find fq's in africa. she may be able to get stripes good for borders and some co-ordinates. decide on the size. that will tell you yardage for the border fabric. then figure out yardage for the inside and decide how you want to break that area up. then add extra for a change of mind. colors may be very limited. earth colors are big, usually with one other color like blue or brick or poo-poo yellow. i sew for someone who brings back fabric and has clothes made from them. by the way, what she brings back is not closely woven and doesn't wear well. and it MUST be prewashed.

Elisabrat 01-15-2010 05:14 AM

Depending on the size of your wall quilt, mine are never huge she wont need to bring back much. Tell her to pick a focal fabric (maybe an elephant design?) and then a mix of whatever appeals to her. You can whip up something that makes it a memory for her. Even if you have to add something from your stash here. My mom brought back some beige batik types so red went super with hers.. the beige, black and red.. the weight was very light weight and the cotton was extremely soft. It went on a wall so we didnt experience the not wearing great concept.. she also may not want to carry tons of fabric back as much as you would love her to do so.. so let her decide. No pressure and she can enjoy her trip too. In the mean time go searching for a few african style wall hangings for inspiration. Google images? I am sure it will be cool and we look forward to seeing your goodies when she gets back. Tell her to hurry up already we are waiting!