Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much planning for scrap quilt... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-planning-scrap-quilt-t211154.html)

KarynneStorm 01-16-2013 03:12 PM

How much planning for scrap quilt...

I have quite a stash of scraps, and I have found a bunch of "scrap" friendly quilt patterns, but I am wondering how much planning I should do and how careful I should be about picking the fabrics, or is that the beauty of scrap quilts that you can just throw any piece at any piece and it will just work out?

Thank you for your help.

dunster 01-16-2013 03:16 PM

I just throw the scraps together. I like patterns where the design is made by lights and darks.

PaperPrincess 01-16-2013 03:19 PM

I also just grab and sew blocks, but then I do put the blocks up on my design wall to lay out the final quilt.

ube quilting 01-16-2013 03:31 PM

I do like to sort the sizes of my scraps and that is all. I have done a few Path thru the woods patterns and love to make this pattern so I do like to collect the size I need for the larger part of the block and opposite triangles.

Other than that i like to keep 7, 8 and 9" strips and squares in seperate boxes and from 6, 5, 4, 3 and 2" strips in seperate boxes. I don't do the half inch thing. I figure if I need 3 1/2" strip I go to the 4" stack.

If something is an inbetween size I will put it in the smaller size stack ( if a strip is 4 1/2" I put it in the 4" stack)

I don't cut scraps into sizes to store. I cut as I go.

I try to keep it simple. KISS !

EDIT: Now let me answer the actual ? I don't do a lot of planning except for choosing one fabric that gives the whole quilt consistancy like a back ground or sashing or a center block like in a log cabin. And sometimes I don't even do that much planning.

Have fun!

peace

Tartan 01-16-2013 03:34 PM

A true scrappy has the pieces just thrown together. I can't do that so I do controlled scrappy quilts.

life is sweet 01-16-2013 03:43 PM

I usually just divide fabrics into light and dark and go from there - just grabbing a fabric from either stack depending on the need - the contrast makes more difference than whether or not the fabrics actually go with one another. After the quilt top is assembled, the contrast is what stands out. That being said, I'm currently working on a pinwheel scrap quilt and am having a blast picking out a specific light and dark for each of the pinwheels - and I'm taking way too much time putting together beautiful combinations. As mentioned, I don't usually spend that much time coordinating scraps but this is an exception. Love putting all my little dibs and dabs of scraps together into quilts! Have fun!!

QuiltnNan 01-16-2013 03:45 PM

the only planning i do is to sort the scraps to dark and light. sometimes, a medium is used if the pattern is more complicated.

chairjogger 01-16-2013 03:53 PM

scrap quilt planning

1 Attachment(s)
I think this is the one I did as a scrap quilt. the problem for me was not having the same fabric touch. I did care about that.. hmmm.. maybe did not matter.. but was so hard to make sure this did not happen. the "blocks" were about 13 - 14 inches wide. i forget now. so.. that means.. among the block then the surrounding blocks.

good luck.. this was a great pattern ! I cut more strips than i needed.. but then.. found uses for the lengths.

most of all.. have fun using your history of quilting projects !

ell

Kat Sews 01-16-2013 03:55 PM

I have used several scrap methods. I regularly sew two same size squares (one light one dark) as thread bunnys, gives me a jump start on four or nine patches. A coffee can full of pairs is enough for a small baby quilt. I just finished a top in which I only used blues and tans in a variety of fabrics. Now the blue and tan bins are almost empty. I guess I just look and see which bins are too full and work from there. Embrace the challenge and create what ever pleases you.

Sue1765 01-16-2013 04:27 PM

Chair jogger, your quilt is gorgeous! Love it! Do you have a pattern name for this?