Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Much? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-t33006.html)

Boston1954 01-05-2010 07:33 AM

When I first started quilting, I used to get a quarter of a yard when something struck my eye. I now have much variety and not much of any one thing............until last year when I made a vow to myself. I now buy two yards. ALWAYS. Nothing less than two. Now, if you like to make lap sized quilts, this will be fine for you. But, if you like to make them for beds, you are going to want a lot more. Maybe as much as 4 or 5.

Ilovemydogs 01-05-2010 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
...... oh, I wanna go fabric shopping now.

I want to go shopping too! Work gets in the way! :lol: I am learning to get more when I see something I like. Definitely a yard.

dlf0122quilting 01-05-2010 09:09 AM

I learned a valuable lesson just recently. I had a backing that I had ordered on line, bought 6 yards of it for applique background blocks and loved it. Recently I started doing applique quilts with a friend as a joint effort. She loved the fabric so much so I gave some to her for her quilt. I then decided that since it was such a beautiful background, I would make heirloom applique quilts to be handed down to each of our 5 living children when I complete my "bucket list" and low and behold, I was down to my last little bit of the fabric. I searched everywhere on line and in LQS's for it and could not find it. Fortunately, someone on this very forum pointed me in the right direction and I was reunited with it once again. I ordered a lot more of it. Now all the kids will each have a different quilt but with the same background. The only time I buy large yardages is when I am going to use it for background for applique blocks or for backings. All the rest, I buy either 1 yard or if it is for a splash of color, just a fat quarter.

Another hint when it comes to fat quarters, if you have a friend with similar tastes, buy a half yard and split it in the fold, 1 piece for each of you, it is much less expensive than the precut fat quarters. My friend and I do that each time we start another quilt together. We each make 2 of 6 of the blocks for a 12 block quilt and exchange them.

Aurora 01-05-2010 03:30 PM

I truly love the way you guys think! I moved to Kentucky from the Cincinnati area where I passed at least two fabric stores on my way home from work.

At first, I thought I would have to drive to Lexington to buy fabric ... then I joined a Quilt Guild. Now I know that I have not one, but three great places to purchase fabric within ten miles of where I live and all three have overwhelming selections for $2.00 to $3.00/.50 per yard. Since I am new to quilting, but not sewing, my philosophy has always been and still is buy at least three yards and as much as six, just because.

Also, I need to build my stash and no one really knows how much is enough, or too much. I am having the best time!!

No longer a husband from which to conceal my fabric, and definitely not one that helps himself to my stash.

I smile every time I read your messages, thanks for letting me join.

Angela

P.S. I am not really in hiding, it is just that Dunnville is so small that no one realizes it's there.

Shorebird 01-06-2010 12:23 PM

I am really bad..........If I like it, I buy a yard..........If I REALLY love it, I buy 3 yards or more...........I do not like to piece backs, so I generally get the wide fabrics for my quilt backs.....so, my stash grows by leaps and bounds..........I frequently wil not have a pattern in mind. In the past......I have run out of fabric, and could not get any more ( UGH ) so now, I would rather have left-over fabric - so I buy in larger quantities.

chris_quilts 01-06-2010 09:25 PM

I usually buy at least a yard but have been known, esp with a good purple, to buy as many as 4 - 5 yards. I know where my shortages are in my stash so when I find a good yellow or green I buy at least 2 yards of the fabric.

KarenBarnes 01-08-2010 08:01 AM

More is always better!!!