Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How old is this....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-old-t42518.html)

nannya54 04-12-2010 12:51 PM

I picked up a box of fabrics at a garage sale knowing some were a bit unusable and in unpacking them I found one that had the sale's tag on it still. Off to the side it said "9 Yds" and the tag stapled on said "Penneys $.28" First of all, I didn't know that Penneys ever sold fabric and then the 28cents threw me a bit. Anyone out there have a clue how old this fabric is?

dakotamaid 04-12-2010 12:54 PM

My mom used to order fabrics from Penney's, Sears, and Montgomery wards all the time. Some of it was pretty cheap.!!

Also, these older fabrics were sometimes not color stable so be careful where you use them. :D

Jingle 04-12-2010 12:55 PM

I don't have any idea how old it is. Yes, Pennys and most of those types of stores sold fabric.

Pam 04-12-2010 01:01 PM

Post a picture of the fabric. My Mom is guessing it is about 35 years old, just from the price.

colleensangel 04-12-2010 01:49 PM

OMG...............I use to buy lots of fabric in Penneys. I would go there with my boyfreinds mom the woman how taught me the love of fabric and sewing. I dated him from 1970-73 about a year later Penneys closed there fabric dept. So my guess it the fabric is from 1975 or before making it at least 27 years old. The .28 price was about the going rate for fabric if you spent .75 or more it was for formal wear like to make a dress for the prom. Years ago most dept stores sold fabric and also the 5 and dime stores, Grants, Woolworth and McCrory, there were no such things as a fabric store like Joanns or anything even called a LQS. No one made quilts back then that would tell about it if you made a quilt you were considered poor.

Please post pictures I would love to see the fabric and walk down memory lane.

amma 04-12-2010 01:51 PM

I remember Mom buying fabric from Sears... you could even buy fabric that matched the bedspreads they sold to make curtains with.

colleensangel 04-12-2010 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I remember Mom buying fabric from Sears... you could even buy fabric that matched the bedspreads they sold to make curtains with.

I remember that.......too funny.

Kathy N 04-12-2010 02:33 PM

I would say mid 70's too. I worked there in 75 & 76 and we sold fabric. You probably got a clearance piece hense the great price tag!!!

dsb38327 04-12-2010 02:44 PM

I inherited scads of lace on the bolt and silk fabric. It was given to me 25 years ago and the owner had had it for many years. There were some price tags. I don't remember well but less than a dollar for a bolt of lace (yards and yards). The silk was high end and I don't think she paid very much for it. I treasured it for years and have now finally sewn most of it. A photo of it would look good on the wall in your sewing room. Good find. Did it smell? How do you get the smell out? Some of my Mom's had been stored and got 'the smell'.

Honey 04-12-2010 03:09 PM

I bought fabric from Penny's when I started sewing in 1963. I can remember getting some fabric for .99 a yard.