Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How old is too old ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-old-too-old-t35231.html)

quilter1 01-27-2010 07:55 AM

I am cleaning up my sewing stuff and found a box of threads, at least 50 spools of Guttermann. Some of it might be 15 years old!! Should I just throw it out, or save it to use? Also, how do you tell if it is cotton or polyester on a bobbin? I used to use poly for clothing sewing, but now all my time is spent on quilting with cotton. I think that my time is worth more than an old spool of thread if it damages my handwork. What do you all think?

BellaBoo 01-27-2010 08:04 AM

Break thread from a new spool and then break thread from the older spools. If it has the same strength it's good thread. You can tell ploy from cotton by burning a little. Cotton will turn to dry ash, poly will leave a sticky globby ash.

Prism99 01-27-2010 12:03 PM

If the thread is dry and brittle (the breaking test should determine this), you can revitalize it by placing it in a plastic bag in the freezer for a couple of months. This restores moisture to the dried-out old thread. Test it again afterwards, of course, to make sure it has become as strong as new thread.

I think the burn test is the only way to determine if thread is cotton or polyester. If you hold a match to the thread, poly should melt into a blob while cotton should turn into ash.

Clothfiend 01-27-2010 12:42 PM

you can revitalize it by placing it in a plastic bag in the freezer for a couple of months. This restores moisture to the dried-out old thread.

Wow! I've been sewing and quilting forever, and I did not know you could restore moisture to old thread. Thank you so much for this info.

Boston1954 01-27-2010 01:15 PM

I found some that was bought at a store that went out of business over ten years ago. I wrapped some around my hand and gave a really good firm pull from the spool. Since it did not break, I used it. It was just fine.

Pickles 01-27-2010 01:19 PM

Wow..I didn't know about the Revitalizing of old thread either, thanks so much Prism99 for that Great Tip, I still say we need a{ Tip } section here on the board so everyone can see and find it easy so all can benefit from them.

littlehud 01-30-2010 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Clothfiend
you can revitalize it by placing it in a plastic bag in the freezer for a couple of months. This restores moisture to the dried-out old thread.

Wow! I've been sewing and quilting forever, and I did not know you could restore moisture to old thread. Thank you so much for this info.

This is new info to me. Thanks.

Astramorgaine 01-30-2010 02:58 PM

I thought keeping things in the freezer would dry it out? I was told not store certain things in the freezer as it would draw out the moisture.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-30-2010 04:51 PM

just test it by pulling on it.

Olivia's Grammy 01-30-2010 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Clothfiend

I've heard this before. Have you tried it?