Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How old is your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-old-your-stash-t27467.html)

amandasgramma 10-22-2009 06:06 AM

I have some stash from my GREAT grandmother's stash --- I'm almost 60 ....don't know how old that is! MY stash is about 35 yrs old....some fabric from my daughter's first clothes.

Up North 10-22-2009 06:44 AM

Since I just started quilting less than 2 years ago my stash is small and pretty new except for a few pieces my mom gave me and they could be pretty old! I also have some Dresden plates from feed sacks.

PuffinGin 10-22-2009 07:04 AM

Most of my stash is 5 or less years old because I'm relatively new to quilting. However, I do have fabrics, mostly not quilting cottons, from over fifty years ago, the length of time I've been sewing. Looking through the boxes of old stuff is a real nostalgia trip for me, remembering what I made or, in some cases, planned to make with the fabric. If it would fit me (won't), I'd love to finish that denim jean jacket and pants set I started 30 something years ago. The jacket only needs snaps and finishing touches. :roll:

DA Mayer 10-22-2009 07:26 AM

I know some of my fabric is from 25 years ago and my mom always had fabric drawers or boxes and I have some of that so some pieces are even older. Not everything is cotton.

scrappylouisa 10-22-2009 09:40 AM

My stash goes back to 1969. I sewed all my clothes for my senior year in high school. I would use some of the leftover fabrics to make my 3 little sisters play clothes. I recently found some of those scraps and hope to make a quilt using them soon.

Scissor Queen 10-22-2009 09:47 AM

The oldest quilt fabrics I have are around 10 years old.

I have a piece of fabric I bought in the middle 70s to make a dress though. It's polyester so it'll probably just stay a piece of fabric. I know that dress pattern won't fit anymore and I don't wear dresses anymore anyway.

Tippy 10-22-2009 09:48 AM

Well, I know for sure that a bunch of my fabric is from the early 80's, and some before that.. I'm just not sure..lol
My mom had the old stuff and I think she "cleaned house" when I was overseas, so I wasn't there to object..lol..... probably a good thing.

sewmom 10-22-2009 10:14 AM

I have fabric from sewing projects that are probably 30 yrs. old-not so much quilting, but garment fabrics. I've been quilting for about 15 years or more-more in the last 10. my stash is outgrowing my room. It's embarassing when people see it. it's out of control.

Honey 10-22-2009 10:14 AM

Some of my stash items are over 50 years old. Feed sack, flour sack, so forth. I also made all of my own cloths since I was in seventh grade and I am now 58. My kids and grandkids love it when I make a scrap qilt and tell them what each piece represents. In fact, my daughter writes on the back of each piece what it is from.

dizzy 10-22-2009 10:17 AM

I have a oiece that I know is over twentyfive yrs old.Cause K-Mart stopped selling material before I got out of highschool.An I happen to
have graduated in 1982 it was about five or six yrds.An I put it in a
wedding ring quilt that is WIP.An I have a bunhes of material that I got
at thrift stores that I know is as old as the other piece of material.