Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How old is your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-old-your-stash-t27467.html)

SaraSewing 10-23-2009 11:28 AM

I don't want my stash to get too old. My quest for the past couple of years has been to USE IT UP! I have some scraps from my daughters little girl dresses. She is 23.

I have a quilt that used scraps from my childhood. It is so precious now. I love the scrappy look just for that reason. I quilt to use up scraps, not buy more. That way I feel frugal and thrifty and wear a little halo when I get one more done!

GailG 10-23-2009 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by gramadona
My mother gave me her stash from the 40's about ten years ago. And prior to that when my grandmother died (1972) I got hers. She had grain sacks and feed sacks and a piece of silk from my aunts wedding dress from 1924! (Her wedding picture hangs on my dining room wall.) Also in her stuff was a UFO that she started in 1921. I think it's called Grandmother's Garden. It's tiny hexagons sewed together in flower shapes... and the fabric is in great condition!
And then, of course, there is my own stash dating back to my sewing as a teenager in the 50's and making clothes for my children in the mid 60's.
This may sound silly, but I have a Navy wool blanket that my father had while aboard ship in WWll. He was on the USS Dunlap that had just left Pearl Harbor
early in the morning on Dec. 7, 1941. I have made quilts for every one of his great grand children and put a snippet of that blanket inside each one of them.

My kids say I'm "corny".... but they do seem to treasure those quilts.

That's a great blanket story, Dona. I don't think it's corny at all. Tell then that they,too, will be corny when the time comes.

gramadona 10-23-2009 08:14 PM

You are so right Gail!! :D
My middle daughter (42) says she
finds herself saying and doing some
of the same things with her kids that
I did with her when she was little...
and she still calls it corny....
and does it anyway.
I guess I will continue to be my same silly self. :twisted: :roll: :roll:

Mousie 10-23-2009 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by sarahelloyd
Hi, I am new to posting, but have been reading for a while. I have a piece of my grandmother's wedding dress from 1924, and only yesterday I was trying to work out what I could work it into. How strange!

My wedding dress is 32+ years old, and i am sure it would not hold up to me using the fabric in anything. I didn't know about having it sealed back then, and probably didn't have the money anyway.
If it would hold up, and I didn't want to use it for somebody's wedding, I would make pillows with it, for my bed.

I have fabric from when my kids were growing up, that I made them clothes with, so I know some are at least 16-18 years old. Then there are the fabrics that my mother gave me. I have a big trash bag 3/4 full of double knit hexagons from the 70's, and some other stuff that might be close to that.

gramadona 10-23-2009 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
QC... I've made some wedding dress quilts and they are spectacular. I toss them into the washer on cold and the dryer on cool then use as many of the embellishments as I can in the quilt along with the fabric. Satin is tough to work with as it "slides", but it makes a beautiful quilt.
I'll try to post a photo of one I made years ago.

Satin edge ruffle on Murray quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49828[/ATTACH]

Baby and christening quilt from wedding dress
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49849[/ATTACH]

crazicorn 10-24-2009 10:21 AM

My oldest is just over 20 years old. I had decided I was going to make a quilt. I went to the library and poured through 4 or 5 quilting books and attempted to copy the patterns I liked on graph paper, along with drawing the templates. I then went to the fabric store and bought all of the fabric I thought I'd need for the top. I had decided to do a Queen size "Bulls Eye" or "Doe & Darts". LOL That put me off of quilting for more than 15 years! There is so much bulk in the seams and I don't think I have one single good point. Plus at that time, I had no idea how of the many different techniques I could have used to perfect it. So, there it sits a UFO with about 4 columns of blocks that are absolutely horribly pieced. Oh yes! I sewed the blocks in columns, not rows.
Now that I am a bit more experience, I still can't bring myself to finish it, even though I really do love the fabrics.
:lol:

Knot Sew 10-24-2009 11:46 AM

All I know is I sure have a lot of fabric for three years....a lot was garage sales...so that may be older...but wow seems like its been a long time :D

Betty Ruth 10-24-2009 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
I was going threw my stash last light looking for something. And came across a yard of fabric from my first quilt that I made my DGS's quilt with. That makes that one pice of fabric 8 years old. The oldest I have in my stash. Do you have some fabric that is old? And if do can you remember what you made from it or was going to make?

I have a few pieces of fabric from the Winns store that went out of business in our town about the time out 46 year old daughter started to school. That makes them about 40 years old, as we had no public kindergarten then.

Pzazz 10-24-2009 07:10 PM

My mom started her stash in the late 20's and early 30'. My dad used a lot of it in the quilts he made. Mom gave me whatever was left after dad died. My personal stash started somewhere around 1960-ish.

ShawnW 10-25-2009 12:24 PM

Some of my stash is from 1988. I got the bug for quilting when I moved to Alaska. From there it was all downhill!! I have material from almost every quilt I've made because I thought I would use it if I had to make repairs. The only thing I didn't consider was the fade factor! My sisters queen size quilt needed help. I brought it home, took it apart (I tied my first quilts instead of quilting) and then brought out the material. What a surprise to compare. I now know that doesn't work but the idea seemed like a good one at the time.