Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How old is your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-old-your-stash-t27467.html)

Quilt4u 10-22-2009 02:56 AM

I was going threw my stash last light looking for something. And came across a yard of fabric from my first quilt that I made my DGS's quilt with. That makes that one pice of fabric 8 years old. The oldest I have in my stash. Do you have some fabric that is old? And if do can you remember what you made from it or was going to make?

Dawn Hendrix 10-22-2009 03:02 AM

I have fabric from when my grandmother made me dresses. I will be 40 in a few days... I try to put a little piece of it on my quilts.. even if it is in the label .. she is the one who taught me to sew.

Ninnie 10-22-2009 03:13 AM

I have material that is 13 years old. I have some green that I put in a dinosaur quilt for my grandson, and I use a small piece of it in every scrap quilt I make. He is 15 now and still asks me where his part of each quilt is, and always looks to find his green. :lol: :lol: I still have about 1/2 a yard of it, and I do use it sparingly. I also have some bow tie squares that were hand made by my grandmother , from feed sacks, and they are at least 50 years old.

lfw045 10-22-2009 03:15 AM

I have frabric that was dye cut for my grandmother so I have no clue how old it is but it is old for sure. My mother and her two of her sisters worked in garment factories so there was always scraps available it seems. I have 4 large totes full of fabric and UFO's that belonged to my mother. Some of that fabric still has the price tags on it. I see from time to time when I go through it fabric that she made me clothes out of. I'm 56 so that gives you some idea how old it is. :D

Quilting Aggi 10-22-2009 03:25 AM

I"m figuring I have stash that is close to 15 years old in my stash. That is when I started quilting, so I would say I have pieces from that time.

granny216 10-22-2009 04:24 AM

OK-I have fabric from 50 years ago, at least and some feed sacks that are older plus a lot of vintage fabric. Don't have any pieces left from that far back as I used to just buy what I needed, HUH....Then the quilting bug bit me and now have tons of fabric. I don't have to go shopping for more very often but I sometimes still get carried away in a quilt shop or at a show...MUST HAVE, but I don't know what for. :lol:

pocoellie 10-22-2009 04:27 AM

I would say that some of my stash is at least 15 years old. There are some pieces bought at auctions, yard sales, etc., that are older.

mic-pa 10-22-2009 04:44 AM

I don't have any stash more than 3 or 4 ysrs old. I like the new stuff that comes out every year so try not to keep much on hand. I am working on Christmas Projects right now. Marge

carrieg 10-22-2009 04:54 AM

This week we had a speaker at our guild, Beth Ferrier. She says she has no stash! Since she designs patterns, she has to use the newest available fabric. Said if she didn't do that, all us quilters would not appreciate it! LOL

My stash is only 6 years old....that's when I started quilting! I did no sewing before that. Now, if you're talking cross stitch or embroidery, that's a different story.

crkathleen 10-22-2009 05:05 AM

I still have pieces from when I first started quilting about 9 years ago. It's all inferior quality so I don't use it. Not sure why I keep it in my stash. haha
I also still have some decorator's fabric that I bought and made my first big quilt (king) for my mother. I washed it before I gave it to her and then promptly had to sew it back together!
I'm self taught, the hard way! :lol: