Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How To: Paper Doll Fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-paper-doll-fabrics-t45837.html)

Quiltbyrd 05-14-2010 06:15 AM

I want to cut out the paper doll fabric and make paper cloth dolls to accompany a quilt. Have any of you tried this and what do you suggest to fuse to the back of the doll and and the clothing to get it usable for a child. I don't think the seam a seam that is used for applique will be stiff enough. Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way. Quiltbyrd

montanaquilter 05-14-2010 06:17 AM

i haven't bought this fabric, even though i LOVE it! cause i'm not sure how to go about using it either, so i will love to hear everyone's suggestions.

BellaBoo 05-14-2010 06:23 AM

The ones I have seen have fusible fleece on the back of the dolls and clothes. The fabric book that hold the dolls and clothes are so nice! I think I picked up the free directions how to make the book. Let me look for it.

Quiltbyrd 05-14-2010 06:39 AM

Thank you so much. I think some of the clothes fit some of the dolls. Some dolls are 15", some are 7" and some are 3". I have the 7" doll fabric and they are the cutest faces and clothes. I appreciate your help. Quiltbyrd

amma 05-14-2010 09:26 AM

Fusible fleece works really well. You can also put a piece of batting or fleece on a board or wall and the dolls and clothes will stick to it. Kids like to use these as story boards. You can make trees, houses, cars, animals and such to go along with them.

BellaBoo 05-14-2010 10:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I found the instructions for making the Fabric Paper Doll Book. There is no picture. The shop owner was demoing the Bernina eyelet maker that can be used for the book and was giving out the pattern free to anyone that wanted it. She sold a lot of the doll panels that day! The book has pockets on each page to hold all doll and clothes from the panel pictured below. Most were making the book to be a quiet 'being in big Church' activity.

Aunt Lindy's Paper Dolls panel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]45618[/ATTACH]

Paper Doll Book inst.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]45619[/ATTACH]

clem55 05-14-2010 10:29 AM

fusible fleese won't make ther doll stiff, but you could use some popcicle sticks between the fleece and fabric to have a little more stiffness. and to help hold clothes on, a little strip of velco really helps.

justwannaquilt 05-14-2010 11:37 AM

I just went to joann's and went through the fusible rack/cart thingy they have and grabbed the bolt that was the stiffest fusible that they had! I still have some but I don't know exactly what I bought because I didn't care about a name just that it was stiff and sticky!

BellaBoo 05-14-2010 12:12 PM

Really, fusible fleece works to hold the clothes on the doll and they are sturdy but soft. If you want the clothes or dolls to be very secure in place put a small round magnet between the fabric and fleece in the dolls and clothes. The fusible fleece will hold the magnet in place out of sight. Be sure the polarity of the magnets to each other are right.

dsb38327 05-14-2010 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Really, fusible fleece works to hold the clothes on the doll and they are sturdy but soft. If you want the clothes or dolls to be very secure in place put a small round magnet between the fabric and fleece in the dolls and clothes. The fusible fleece will hold the magnet in place out of sight. Be sure the polarity of the magnets to each other are right.

BellaBoo, sounds like this is not your first rodeo. :D It would be so far over my head! Mother always whipped things like this out, I had no idea how much skill she had. I am glad you know how to do it so you can help Quiltbyrd. Seeing those cutouts makes me want to play paper dolls again. (Almost!)