Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how to say good bye to pen stains (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-say-good-bye-pen-stains-t112855.html)

3TreeFrog 04-02-2011 06:31 AM

Hello Every one!

I just wanted to pass on the trick that I use to get rid of pen and permanent marker stains off clothing, plastic, wood and even leather!

All I do is use hair spray! Not the aerosol cans, however the spray bottles. I had a plastic misting bottle that had some kind of mixture in it (not harsh) and I needed that bottle to be able to mist my plants, so I washed the permanent marker off with hair spray. That marker had been on that bottle for about 3 to 4 years! and the bottle was in the sun room, and withing seconds the markings were gone.

For clothing, I simply saturate the spot with the hair spray then wash the article as per normal!

TreeFrog

coffeepot 04-02-2011 06:36 AM

Great tip. Thank you Marilyn

sueisallaboutquilts 04-02-2011 06:38 AM

I'd like to add:
As soon as possible!!
My husband gave me a beautiful cotton dress shirt that had stains at least a month old ( regular pen) and nothing worked.
I'm going to cut it up for fabric but what a shame. He loved it :(

BellaBoo 04-02-2011 06:42 AM

It also depends on the ingredients in the hair spray. Use to, all hairsprays would work. The old formula of Aqua Net was the best for removing most all stains, used as a fixative for chalk pastels, and made a pretty good quilt layering baste spray. It' hard to find one with the ingredients of the old formula, usually the cheapest aerosol works pretty good.

Tartan 04-02-2011 07:23 AM

Yep, I buy the big cheap stuff because once in a while I have to de-ink my dryer drum. Oh, that's such fun, not! After that fun job you get to play..... hunt the ink spots on the clothes and remove. :thumbdown:

carhop 04-02-2011 07:37 AM

It is the laquer in it it binds to the ink or crayons that is why the cheeps works the best more laquer but pure laquer will not work too harsh

Janetlmt 04-02-2011 09:09 AM

I saw your post on the main page and just had to see what your remedy was. A few weeks ago, my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter found a sharpie maker. She decided my sofa needed a few marker lines on it. I was so upset...couldn't figure out how to get rid of them. I am going to try this today.Thank you for your help.
Peace and Blessings and no sharpie marks on my sofa.

LoriEl 04-02-2011 09:20 AM

Thanks! I was using a red perm marker on my bed and put the circle I was using down and some of the marker transferred to my quilt. I am going to try this right away!

deanna.r 04-02-2011 10:47 AM

I've used hairspray-- some kinds work, some don't. I thought it was the cheaper ones that had lots of alcohol in them that were the best. That being said, I've used rubbng alcohol successfully.

BellaBoo 04-02-2011 10:55 AM

Fit Vegetable Wash will remove most Sharpie marks. I took the black sharpie off my textured white fridge door and from my white table cloth. Never have sharpies in the house with any one under 3 around.